-=Unofficial=- R580 Thread {Owners Wanted}

red930

Discuss overclocking, heat issues, coolers, voltages and more. I know that's brief but sums it up, hehe. :)

Anyhow i uninstalled the 6.3 w/ccc last night and installed the FireMV drivers (6.3 w/cp) and ATI TOOL 25 Beta14. Played around with the tweaking/overclocking for about an hour. Yes, i had lock ups and freezes but i finally managed to set the core voltage to 1.45v and memory to 2.1 i think @700/800 for now. I've set the fan/voltage/frequencies for 700/800 and 500/600 3d/2d modes as well on ATI TOOL, it works just great. Okay if you want to talk let's talk....come on.....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea Mack !!

When I first got my x1900xtx I was so lost on how to overclock it..lol.. But then I found THIS THREAD and it cleared it all up for me.

Lots of good info in that link, every x1900 owner should give the whole thread a read.. Its long but there is mucho info in it..

FireMV drivers are the Catalyst 6.3 drivers with Control Panel and not the CCC. Someone opened a different thread regarding those drivers and that's how i found out. It's been working great and i even uninstalled .NET FrameWorks 1.1 since it's not needed anymore, GREAT!

Okay before i was using OverDrive from CCC along with OverClocker.exe only for the Fan speed adjustment, but now with the 6.3 CP i even installed ATI TOOL 25 Beta14 and it's been working just great.

I was having issues as far as overclocking these cards, but the problem was that going from 500MHz to 650+ needed as lease 1.4v which was something that i wasn't aware of. Some people say more voltage for memory helps and some say it doesn't. I'll check what i put down, but the way i did was bring the voltage for the core up to 1.45-1.47v and raise it to at least 750 which seemed to not crash but opening Call of Duty Multiplayer 1.5 caused corruption on screen. Not sure if it was because of the memory voltage or frequency of the core specs.

It's just hard because i'm guessing this out and i have to be quick to bring the slider back if my screen gets corrupted when memory exceeds, LOL! I do want to install an aftermarket cooler and the X2 seems to be the most accurate in most cases. I thought the VF900 was going to blow every competition away, but i guess i was wrong or wrongly guided with these articles around the web.

Anyone.....suggestions or comments :)

hey mack, hows it goin

i read over at XS that the vf900 was really good - taking about 5-10c off the stock cooler, did you find something different?

the x1900 is without exception the most fun thing to overclock that ive ever had. there is such a variety of ways to work with it and the GPU is just mental. good results youve had there. i now have a 3d05 DB entry at XS.

also, the 1900xt,s memory is not as strong as the xtx (almost want to trade up lol) so its not worth the running voltage required to get BIG clocks out of it for me at least. mine tops out at 793 on the mem, anymore and its BSOD central, capital of freeze city! hehe --- its totally stable at 650/750 and ive had one crash at 670/775 so im keepin things as they are for now.

@thunda - you linked me to that link you posted(2 up) when i first asked about OCin my card, it is awesome with really good info - this thread helped me also - i think it contains just about the best combinations of volts/settings you can get but you need patience to read it all.

i am not going to go crossfire for now, instead i will probably get conroe etc and go for the r600 gpu with gddr4. that is unless the new nvidia chip is better but i cant see it at the moment

also, the 1900xt,s memory is not as strong as the xtx

I have also read that the XT's come with 1.2ns memory chips whereas the XTX's come with 1.1ns chips. But when i took the HSF off my XT to see if i could flash to an XTX bios, i saw that my card had 1.1ns memory chips so i think it may depend on the card manufacturer. For the record, as it says in my sig, i have an ATi version of the card.

Almost all Sapphire X1900XT's will overclock to at least 700/800. The reason that you're having issue with yours is either temperature too high or not using the exact correct voltages. I know this probably sounds odd, because you did all you can do i suppose but the overclocking on these R580's are very new and i guess some of the issues is related to the PWM on the card itself.

@EllisD

I took my stock cooler off as well to see if i have the 1.1ns memory which i do. I got this video card to 750/830 but i will need to do some work to it in order to be stable with high intensive games like COD2, Oblivion and so forth. :)

c'est possible mon ami. i did not check my mem modules when i reapplied tim on my gpu i just assumed all xt's had slower memory so you could be right. and i have only tried maxing my OC in CCC which doesnt increase the voltage so that could be limiting my clocks. maybe ill have a crack at it with ati tool.

Actually if CCC didn't raise the Voltages your GFX CARD would lock-up. It has to raise the voltages, people used Multimeters to specify this issue. 2D/3D Voltages for the core is 1.2/1.39v. CCC sucks, go get yourself the 6.3 CP Edition from the ATI.COM website and uninstall all that crap, .NET Frameworks 1.1 and 6.3/6.4 CCC drivers and stuff. Trust me on this....You'll be able to control FAN/VOLTAGE/FREQUENCIES on these cards with ATI TOOL 25 b14 with no problems if you are a patient person. :)

Guest area51

Whats up gents...

Do any of you guys have the X2? What do you think of it if you do?

I love this thing! Picked it up for $27 or so and have not heard my card since lol :nod:

I idle @ 40c on stock 2d volts with a fan speed of 60%.

At load with 1.4v at 700/860 I max out around 68c or so with fan speed at 100%.

Temps are not real impressive compared to the stock cooler which works great...but the deciding issue here is I cant here the X2 at all!

Bye bye Evil LeafBlower!

Have not really played to hard with OC'ing this fellow yet...just seeing what I could pick up on at 1.4v...700/860. Once I got that I started playing games and rather forgot to push the little sucker.

Might try the X2 myself, not sure man been getting different information on VF900 which i first thought would outperform anything. You using ATI TOOL? What are your memory voltages? Now is that an original X1900XTX or an XT flashed to XTX? BTW, nice overclock dude....hehe

yeah i have ati tool b14 for fan control and have had a bit of a play with the other stuff but not used it to push anythin, i like what your sayin tho. not havin .net would be great - does it hit anythin else apart from CCC? and are you using tool profiles for 2d/3d control or does your fireMV CP set them up?