Anything But Frames

k, so im making this new site.

the idea is this:

in the site i want to have a collumn on the left side of the page. in this collumn will be the site options (home, contact, media, ect) . its a little flash thing i whipped up that is 155x 410. and the other side of the page will be for info and what not.

basicaly i want to use frames, but i know frames get messed up when viewed at different resolutions, so i just wanna stay away from that.

so what should i use?

i want the collumn to stay stationary, and i dont want it to refresh. i only want the right (info) side to refresh. (just like frames).

also, i need this flash image to align as close the left side of the page as possible. i tried using tables and i get a gap between the picture and the left side of the page.

im sorry this is hard to explain so if u have any questions or need more info please ask and i will do me best to answer.

once again the main question:

what should i use to make this stationary, non-refreshing collumn? is there anything else i can use besides frames?

thanks in advance

Edited by hiph0pan0nym0usx

I would say tables, I know that tables can be a really big pain sometimes. But that is all that I can think of. I've seen websites where a guy did sort of a frames page, but all in Flash. Other than that have you tried using tables a second time. When I built my webiste I had to try 3 times before I could get the tables right.

I'd definatly use tables unless you are going for that 80ish-era unskilled-newbish webpage look that frames tend to bring.

You can also use includes to make the menu in a single html (or php) page, and have it used repeatidly amung other pages. It's what I did with my site, and if I'm not mistaken OCC has done it as well.

Edited by d3bruts1d

PHP is nice to use, the only issue is the fact that it is a server side controlled language meaning you need to run a server such as Apache and load the PHP modules into it. If you don't know how to make a webserver or don't have the tools to do it, you generally have to go with a host that runs PHP and have to pay for them to host your page. It is just a shame that you are limited to what you can do with HTML.

He needs a web server wether he uses PHP or not.

While I use Apachie more, PHP can be instaleld and configured to run on Microsoft's IIS/PWS... though why someone would do that is beyond me. It's about as dumb as running IE on Linux (or running IE at all).

Download - Install Doc for IIS/PWS - Apachie Install Doc

Also, in addition to what Some_Guy_ said, frames don't have to be messed up in different resolutions if done right, however people do tend to get "stuck" inside a frame. - This happens mainly when coming from a search directory, or when ctrl+clicking a link within the site. - The use of tables gives you more flexability and avoids those problems all together.

k, so i started using frames again.... but again, i get the gap on the left side of the page, and torwards the top of the page....

how can i get rid of that gap so the flash is closer to the edge of the page?

heres the site: http://www33.brinkster.com/repeatrepeat/frameset.htm

tell me something doesnt work...

He needs a web server wether he uses PHP or not.

While I use Apachie more, PHP can be instaleld and configured to run on Microsoft's IIS/PWS... though why someone would do that is beyond me. It's about as dumb as running IE on Linux (or running IE at all).

Download - Install Doc for IIS/PWS - Apachie Install Doc

Also, in addition to what Some_Guy_ said, frames don't have to be messed up in different resolutions if done right, however people do tend to get "stuck" inside a frame. - This happens mainly when coming from a search directory, or when ctrl+clicking a link within the site. - The use of tables gives you more flexability and avoids those problems all together.

I didn't mention IIS because of the nice little exploits that come with it :P