PCI Express slot not working with SLI

Hi,

Just received my second 7800GT, which I flashed to 7800GT CO. Problem is, I have no SLI bridge, so I ordered one because I've bought the mobo used and no SLI bridge was included.

But I've seen that I can run SLI without one anyway while waiting.

Ok so here's my problem : I've moved the 6 jumpers on the motherboard to SLI mode (pins 2-3).

But in the bios, I see NC NC 8X 1X under PCI Express Configuration!!!? And in windows only one of the two card show up. If I set the jumpers to 1-2, then I see the two card but no SLI....

I've tried to flash the bios with the lastest version (30/3/2006), tried to clear cmos, exchanged the two graphic cards.... but nothing works!

Why does the motherboard does not enable the second PCI Express Slot? Does I absolutely need the bridge to be installed to enable the second PCIex slot?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you didn't misplaced ANY jumpers??

there are six of them ....and god knows what weird things would happen if you misplaced just ONE out of those six....

And by misplaced I mean leaving one section of the jumpers uncovered and overposing on the other side....kind of like fighting with your blanket when it's cold...you wanna protect your neck from the cold so you pull it up...but if you do it too much you leave your feet umprotected...

Make sure you unistall the existing drivers and then use Driver Cleaner Pro in safe mode to get rid of everything.

Insert second card and reinstall drivers. It'll work.

New 84.43s are out over at Guru3D

Are you sure you didn't misplaced ANY jumpers??

there are six of them ....and god knows what weird things would happen if you misplaced just ONE out of those six....

And by misplaced I mean leaving one section of the jumpers uncovered and overposing on the other side....kind of like fighting with your blanket when it's cold...you wanna protect your neck from the cold so you pull it up...but if you do it too much you leave your feet umprotected...

I've replaced the jumpers two times to be sure , but with no luck. I really don't understand... I've tried without jumpers... give me the same result : NC NC 8X 1X. What's more weird is that with jumpers in position 1-2, the two cards show up in windows, but no SLI. (bios shows 16x 1x 2x 1x with these settings)

Make sure you unistall the existing drivers and then use Driver Cleaner Pro in safe mode to get rid of everything.

Insert second card and reinstall drivers. It'll work.

Done that also, but with the official Nvidia drivers. But the problem seem to be more deep , since in the bios the PCI Express Configuration shows NC NC 8X 1X even if the 6 jumpers are in SLI position.

Oh and also, I disabled my overclock, and now running with stock clock at 2.0ghz.

Sounds to me like the card you flashed to CO bios version is not working.

RGone...

That could be the case, but then why are his PCIex setting showing

But in the bios, I see NC NC 8X 1X under PCI Express Configuration!!!?

like this??

it seems as tough his chipset is not assigning PCIex lanes for the 16x slot at all....

it seems as tough his chipset is not assigning PCIex lanes for the 16x slot at all....

Yes but what's weird is that with Single VGA mode (jumpers in position 1-2) the two cards shows up in Windows, and the bios show 16x 1x 2x 1x.

Here's somes pics of my rig if it could help :

dscf00310dt.th.jpg

dscf00330uj.th.jpg

Well it seems you installed the jumpers properly as far as I can see, so there's no reason why the BIOS wouldn't show 8x N/C 8x 4x

That's the first time I see this problem here...

The chipset provides right setup when you move to the standard position assigning all 20 PCIex lanes to the respective slots but when you move them to SLI, 11 PCIex lanes dissapear!

I guess this is a case for Gurus here....

Sorry man have no clue what the problem might be since you already tried different BIOSes....

Well if you are of the mind the board will not reassign the lane speeds when you move the jumpers correctly and you know the video card you flashed is working; then it needs go no further in guessing> RMA the board.

RGone...

That could be the case, but then why are his PCIex setting showing

like this??