Windows Installation unstable

Hi all, I am new to this forum, as I have just recently begun my issues with this board. Here's my story. I got all my parts for my new comp and throw everything together. System boots fine, posts, everything is in order. Now this is where it gets a little weird. The first time I tried to install windows XP pro, I used an upgrade version of the cd because I read somewheres it would work. After selecting the partition I wanted to use, it prompted me saying I needed to put in a full version of xp. I used an xp cd that only had SP1A on it, unlike the upgrade version which had SP2, doubt that is relevant, but trying to be concise. After using the SP1a full version cd for a second or two, it asked for the upgrade version again. I gave it the upgrade version, its copying files, and then it gives me an error when copying diskcopy.dll, I tell it to retry and it works, then it does it again with another file, cant remember the name, and I was forced to end setup. Now I decided not to use the upgrade version, and just do a straight install with the SP1a full version. However, when I select the partition it shows that it has used some of the partition still, I opt to copy over the windows installation, everything installs, and then it hangs on the dark screen right before user account selection. I reboot, and it makes it through to windows.

now here is the problem.

Everytime I have to reboot for driver installation, it gives me an error

DISK BOOT ERROR PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

even if I put in the XP pro cd I used to install, it just fails anyways.

in any case, it will do this for a couple restarts, or it might just go straight back into windows, yet if I leave it in windows doing NOTHING it will restart on its own.

Any help would be appreciated, I am to understand that this board is very picky about the way it is installed the first time, so any info on the subject would be great.

I'm new to dfi to. Try to install with only the drive you want the os on

and don't install sw ide drivers from nf4 dirvers disk let windows do it.

when you have it all up and running then reconect the other drive

yesh, I figured this might be a possible solution so I left it on a new windows setup before leaving for work. Thanks for comfirming my ideas. I do have a question though, I have a dual-core, and I have read about a microsoft AMD X2 driver, think I need to install that before any mobo drivers? and my other question is how do I get windows to install it's own ide sw drivers?

ok so I just got home and my installation failed with the BSOD giving me

IRQL NOT OR LESS EQUAL and then some #'s. I think I've seen this elswhere in the forums but not sure how to find it, I think it's a memory problem maybe? I know my memory is fine, so perhaps I need to change voltages?!

PLZ can anyone help? I don't know nearly enough about voltages to go winging it and screw up my newly purchased PC. Thanks in advance.

well, this sucks. every time I try to reinstall windows, it gives me an error saying it cannot copy a file. which file it is is different every time. The messed up part is I've installed windows on this PC before! but it was very unstable and would freeze/restart at random, now I cannot even install windows without this damn error copying file, I KNOW it's not the cd, since I have done 2 installations of windows with it, one of which was on the PC it wont install on....

So I am guessing that I am having weird memory issues that are interfering with my windows setups, but I know nothing of how to mess with memory timings/voltages to get them to work. The one's I have to work with are the one's in my sig, Kingston value ram pc3200. PLZ anyone out there tell me what to do?

I was having the same file write errors when I was first trying to install Windows. Enable the Memtest86 in the Genie section of the BIOS. My problem turned out to be a bad ram module that was failing everytime. Once I isolated the bad module and just used a good one Windows installed without a problem and I didnt have to load ANY drivers before it completed.

IRQL EQUAL is usually a device driver error...which means one of your components is either failing or the driver is not installed properly....

If I were you, I'd re-install the FULL version of windows XP from scratch meaning formatting the HDD in the process for a CLEAN install

ok guys here's whats happened so far:

I formatted the C partition and installed xp

SOMEHOW it worked, HOWEVER, I'm getting weird errors all the time, freezing, hang ups, i tried to install directx9 and it told me a cabinet file could not be trusted once! All of these errors seem to lead to one thing, a faulty installation of XP (and I have been using the full version everytime except the first).

So now I have installed the chipset drivers and the one for my video card, but it seems VERY unstable, i have to restart sometime manually to get things to work most of the time. I am going to run memtest and let you guys know what it says, because I have no idea how to interpret the info it gives me.

first off thanks for takin the time out to help an apparent moron who should've checked for more memory compatability.

Well memtest has given me over 14000 errors and that about sums up my problems I think. However, it said in memtest that the CAS was 3-3-3-8

yet when I try to change the memory to those settings the 3rd value is only changeable to 1, 2, or auto. ?! What do I do about that? plz someone tell me i dont have to go buy ram...... PLZ!!1!

I have resigned to buying new ram, it's sad, because it's the ONLY part I moved from my old PC to my new one. Ironic. Thanks to anyone who posted, I really appreciate the help, and I may end up posting again if there are any issues.