Memory Slots - i want to use the yellow ones.

so which RAM? my setup makes it awkward to use 1 of the orange ones but i want dual channel. right now it wont work in the yellow slots. i plan to go to bios 704 - which 2GB set work well in these slots?

had a search but most advice was for people to use the orange ones instead. very few posts of people using the orange slots. could go for ballistix or ocz if that would do?

right now on 623-3 (its the sli-dr sys in sig)

• 2 weeks later...

done it :D

flashed to 704 2BTA and tested. my geil value ram that i have at the mo wouldnt work in the yellow slots still. not even 1 stick (altho that RAM is mostly goosed now anyway :( )

i tried with my new g.skill RAM and that worked great. now memtesting with both sticks in just to be safe before going into windows and start working as normal.

one thing i found tho, after flashing the newer bios, i couldnt boot into windows :sweat:

thank god it was ony the SATA boot orde that was changed. swapped back to the raptor and alls fine. :)

ok. this didnt work as planned. kept getting windows locks. eventually got rid of memtest errors but windows still froze. running snm ram test caused a lockup instantly. different voltages made no diff.

oddly, 2.6v was chosen as default and that caused error every single time in the yellow slots at between 35-40 mins into the memtest. 2.7v made it worse. 2.5v made it pass memtest for 2 hrs straight with zero errors. still has windows lock ups tho. not an issue with anything else on the sys since the only thing that was changed is the RAM.

one stick at a time and it was fine tho.

eventually put both sticks in top slots (1 orange and 1 yellow) and then all tests passed fine. the long snm stress test ran all the way through just fine thankfully. now writing this on this pc.

now, having 1 ram stick in each colour slot means i dont have dual channel right? how much of a performace hit is this going to give me?

• 1 month later...

ok. got this sorted. crucial ballistix is a no go in the yellow slots and so is g.skills RAM

got some patriot PC4000 RAM off Ebay and it's running perfectly in the yellow slots. passed 14 hrs of memtest so deffo ok. running at 2.5-3-3-7 @ 270mhz too.

finally :)