XFI-what would cause static/tearing sounds?

Grunt_Style

Is horrible. i am currently downloading new drives for my XFI i cant stand it. i play games and i hear static i download streaming videos and i hear static. it will play a few seconds clear and then this awful ripping sound grates on my ears. anyone else have a similar issue? i spend good money on this card but i am not impressed whatsoever. i might rip it out and go back o my Audigy 2zs.

Does it only do it when you're actually playing music/movie/games etc or does it do it all the time, even at idle?

Is the card or plug touching some other electronic device? try reseating it yet?

Otherwise I hope the drivers fix it.

Oh yeah, is this the newer version with the updated firmware for nf4 chipsets? Didn't think this was the issue but it could have been I spose...

i ran through all the cable carefully. is only noticable when streaming videos/ or playing games. not when idle. ive been reading around on forums and i guess this is accually a big issue. ive got 2 sets of drivers on the download que. olderones from november last year. and new beta ones from a few weeks ago. ill try the november ones first. but im not optimistic since they where desighned for Win64.

i installed the latest oficial drivers. ingame static is gone. but there is still static when i listen to streaming video. on a plus: my 3dmark03 jumped from 22k to 25.5k instantly.there is still one set of drivers left to try. but its a betaversion and is not oficial yet.

i see your using the front bay...are you using that for your headphone hookup? if so try the rear ports it would be the second port from the left looking at the card. Just an idea.

im using the rear ports.got 5.1system. using blue/black/yellow jacks. the front bay is compleate crap. all in al this is the first time ive ever talked trash about a SB card. it was a poor investment. they really need to fix this. I read somewear that they just converted the 2ZS drivers to XF-I, rather than rebuilding from the ground up.its really unfortunate that as a cunsumer i have to pay the price for a company cutting corners.

I just installed the beta drivers. a great seal of the static is gone now from streaming. there is still some.each gen of drivers seems to be a improvement. however it will be months before the next release.

Did you try running on a fresh installation of windows? Also try reseating the card or use the other pci slot. Also it could be a power problem possibly, what is you power supply?

I only had problems with mine when I first got it, I uninstalled the audigy 2 zs drivers and installed the x-fi on an old windows install. The problem was with the test where the helicoptor flys around your head, when I clicked test the program crashed lol. I didn't want to reinstall windows to hear x-fi so I reinstalled the drivers a couple times and when that didn't work I got the drivers from the website and it worked. That was with the asus a7n8x motherboard.

I never had a problem with this mobo that I have it in now.

The big problem with the cmss headphones is that when the helicoptor flies infront of you it sounds like it's more like inside your head.

Did you try running on a fresh installation of windows? Also try reseating the card or use the other pci slot. Also it could be a power problem possibly, what is you power supply?

I only had problems with mine when I first got it, I uninstalled the audigy 2 zs drivers and installed the x-fi on an old windows install. The problem was with the test where the helicoptor flys around your head, when I clicked test the program crashed lol. I didn't want to reinstall windows to hear x-fi so I reinstalled the drivers a couple times and when that didn't work I got the drivers from the website and it worked. That was with the asus a7n8x motherboard.

I never had a problem with this mobo that I have it in now.

The big problem with the cmss headphones is that when the helicoptor flies infront of you it sounds like it's more like inside your head.

BINGO!! ill bet money its the PSU. i got a crappy 520w Coolermaster

and my problems started right around the same time. and have gotten worse since the other day when i put in the second Card for SLI. that has to be it. how do i get around this issue now? im stuck with this PSU for a few more weeks at least.

I had an OCZ 600w modstream that blew up last month but as i am on the road all the time RMA isnt something that i can easily do.