PWMIC too hot I think

Hello,

Well to get my Opteron 170 stable at 2800 I have had to up the Vcore up to 1.425 (BIOS setting). However under load the CPU is running at 53c which is not to bad for air, but the PWMIC's are 60c plus and too hot to touch..

So I have some small Zalman heatsinks, the ones used to cool VGA ram chip. So does anyone know if these will stick to the PWMIC's and do any good or do I need something larger.

Brgds IMK

I wonder if your power supply voltage is fluctuating on you. I only had temp problems at the PWM area when I removed the CPU fan and switched to water. And then it got to 55c or so, until I mounted a fan to point at the PWM area heatsinks. I'd think the zalman should be moving enough air to cool those heatsinks.

I wonder if your power supply voltage is fluctuating on you. I only had temp problems at the PWM area when I removed the CPU fan and switched to water. And then it got to 55c or so, until I mounted a fan to point at the PWM area heatsinks. I'd think the zalman should be moving enough air to cool those heatsinks.

Many thanks think the regulation is OK and smartgaurdian show all rails looking OK.

Also do keep an attention on air flow matter in your case...

With only installing a vantec fans in as exhaust fans...

I got the about 5C decrease.

Then applying the ne TIM (i suggesy as5) would make a big thermal improvement too...

Try it... its fun...

No hi-jack intended but I always wonder about fan set up.

I can have 4 120mm on my side door, on on the top (blowhole), 1 by psu and 1 over the hdd bay...

How many should I have bringing in cold air vs, exhausting?

thx My big typhoon will be here today with my as5!

No hi-jack intended but I always wonder about fan set up.

I can have 4 120mm on my side door, on on the top (blowhole), 1 by psu and 1 over the hdd bay...

How many should I have bringing in cold air vs, exhausting?

thx My big typhoon will be here today with my as5!

Hey i'm interested on this big typhoon,

Post your temps after complete the installation okay?

Thanx....

So adding the Zalman (VGA RAM) heatsink to the tops of the three PMMIC's seems to have helped a little inasmuch as the temps has drop from 60c plus to 55c on full loaded. Putting a fan on them does even more and drops it to about 44c. So, think I am going to have a hack at the airflow in the case as I think the flat IDE cables maybe in the way...

Hello,

Well to get my Opteron 170 stable at 2800 I have had to up the Vcore up to 1.425 (BIOS setting). However under load the CPU is running at 53c which is not to bad for air, but the PWMIC's are 60c plus and too hot to touch..

So I have some small Zalman heatsinks, the ones used to cool VGA ram chip. So does anyone know if these will stick to the PWMIC's and do any good or do I need something larger.

Brgds IMK

You'll benifit more by aiming a fan in the general area of the PWMIC then sinking it..

• 1 month later...