Games Freeze + Sound Static + BOD

I have had many problems like this, with many different system configurations, all with many different solutions.

There is no 'hard and fast' rule for fixing these BSOD's - it is a process of elimination.

IRQ's are a good place to start, but you need to remember - games stress your ENTIRE system. Prime 95 just stresses your CPU. Dont assume that because you are Prime95 stable that your system is stable. Things to check would be:

- IRQ's

- Available watts/amps

- heat of RAM/GPU/CPU/Chipset

- dodgy drivers

Start by removing all your non-essential hardware (your second hard drive, and second optical drive for example) and see if you get the BSOD's. By removing hardware, you are reducing the chances of all 4 of the above being the source of the problem. IF you continue to get BSOD's, try to check your rails, heat etc. Because you removed hardware, IRQ's will be freed and the strain on your PSU will be reduced. Also, any drivers required to run the removed hardware will not be loaded (in the last instance of this happening to me, removing my TV card helped to remove the BSOD's!)

If the BSOD's go away, start adding hardware one bit at a time. Its a lengthy process, but stick with it!

One other thing - try reapplying thermal paste to your cpu. This cured one of my issues - for some reason, the AS5 I had applied had worn off and the CPU temp was around 55c idle!

best of luck

If I install devices one at a time, after the xp wipe, will they still (sound card/video card) share IRQ's??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need your vid card in when installing :P However, if you put your sound card in last, after the install and after you've installed all your other device drivers by placing it in the furthest pci slot from, the chances are very high that your sound card will at least not be sharring an IRQ with your vid card. It may just get an IRQ all by itself. If it shares with something insignificant, that's ok, you just don't want it sharing with your vid card.

i'm going to start my evening with a drive wipe and disconnect unncessary hardware followed by a maincourse of xp install and upgrade and finish it off with a sound card desert.. ANd hopefully if the IRQ's are separate I will install the games. run them.. And add hardware one by one...

Any other suggestions will be digested~~!!!

I know that this is more than likely not a source of concern for you and is probably not an issue but the description of your problem as described with the freezing up and static sound and so on...could remotely be related to high temps. I know the possibilty is extremely remote seeing that you have nothing in your rig that should produce that much heat. However, I too have experienced this error for different reasons but.... I myself have quite a bit in a small space and now with the help of 4 120mm fans 3 out and 1 in I am able to run everything smoothly without error. My ram generates an insane amount of heat and was one issue that had to be delt with but like I said I did expierence the same issue only during games that seem to require a little more power than others....

Some thing to watch and think about....

Do you have a nic card or do you use the onboard LAN?

i've been using the onboard lan. successfully it seems as far as internet/gaming goes

i' also have my tower open so that i can keep it ventillated and so i dont have to keep unscrewing it for problems like this.. just incase i'm adding 3 80mm fans to help in that case

i have done the wipe, set the ram times, and disabled things i didnt need and took off the hardrive and optical drive And soundcard.. as soon as xp loads updates and i get the drivers then soundcard in. i'll let you all know what happens.... ::fingers crossed::