Games Freeze + Sound Static + BOD

I have made my system mostly stable. New powersupply. Plenty of watts and I'm about to install a true version of windows.. But I am still having issues.

It happens when I play games like F.E.A.R, W.oW., Empire at War, and now Oblivion. One of the big three are plaguing my system and i'm at my wits end. The system passed all of the mem tests. And all of the prime 95.

When I play the game, it runs well until it either freezes, or it freezes with horrible sound static coming from the speakers and of course the blue screen of death with "irql not equal etc etc".

Is this problem hardware? How can I know? Drivers? I dont know what to do guys.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may not help you at all, but I had a similar sound problem with my X-Fi (although without the blue screen you referred to). I fixed it by going into the THX console in the speaker setup panel of the X-Fi control panel and changing my Digital Ouput Sampling Frequency dropdown menu from 48 kHz to 96 kHz.

I do hope this helps, but my guess is you've probably got a more serious problem, perhaps an IRQ conflict somewhere. Try this and see where it gets you...

Go start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information. Hit the + sign by hardware resources and highlight IRQ's. Chances are high your vid card is sharing and IRQ with your sound card. The X-Fi's are greedy and do not like to share.

Unfortunately I do not think you can switch IRQ's once the OS has been installed. In order to fix this, if in fact this is your problem, you have to re-install the OS, making sure to disable in the bios anything you're not using, like onboard lan, 1394, etc etc.

Install the OS without the sound card in. Once installed, then put the sound card back in... either on the last or second to last pci slot.

^ At least that's what guys who've resolved these issues say.

Are your sticks the 3-3-3-8 rated ones?

Post a pic of your A64 tweaker, I think you need to set some timings differently

Go start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information. Hit the + sign by hardware resources and highlight IRQ's. Chances are high your vid card is sharing and IRQ with your sound card. The X-Fi's are greedy and do not like to share.

Unfortunately I do not think you can switch IRQ's once the OS has been installed. In order to fix this, if in fact this is your problem, you have to re-install the OS, making sure to disable in the bios anything you're not using, like onboard lan, 1394, etc etc.

Install the OS without the sound card in. Once installed, then put the sound card back in... either on the last or second to last pci slot.

^ At least that's what guys who've resolved these issues say.

The specific ram is Here..

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.As...CT2KIT12864Z40B

here is the post of my Tweaker settings!!!!!

tweaker.jpg

Also, I see that it is being shared:

IRQ 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

IRQ 3 Built-in Infrared Device

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF PCI bus

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x000003AF Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

IRQ 22 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

I/O Port 0x00005000-0x0000FFFF PCI bus

I/O Port 0x00005000-0x0000FFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

IRQ 18 Creative SB X-Fi

IRQ 18 Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller

IRQ 18 NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFCFFFFFF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

Memory Address 0xFA000000-0xFCFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF PCI bus

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF nForce4 PCI-Express Root Port

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

Memory Address 0xFEB00000-0xFEBFFFFF PCI bus

Memory Address 0xFEB00000-0xFEBFFFFF Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller

I/O Port 0x00000290-0x0000030F Motherboard resources

I/O Port 0x00000290-0x0000030F Motherboard resources

So my next step is to post the tweaker and then shut off onboard lan? Will the IRQ be switched automatically when I install the sound card after OS whipe or is there a separate option>

nah, your hardware is most likely all good... it just doesn't like to share an IRQ. Both the vid card and the sound card are power hungry and demanding. Having them on the same IRQ is begging for problems.

.. Will the IRQ be switched automatically when I install the sound card after OS whipe or is there a separate option>

It's not that the IRQ's are switched, it's that they're set when you install XP. Your goal is to have a free IRQ when you get around to installing the sound card so it and it alone can use that free IRQ. That's the reason for disabling anything you don't use in the bios.

If it were possible to switch around IRQ's in XP, that's what we'd be doing; unfortunately, it's not possible.

Could running my BIOS v. 6/23 have anything to do with my problems?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version 5.1.2600 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name JEFF-81C05RRV15

System Manufacturer NVIDIA

System Model AWRDACPI

System Type X86-based PC

Processor x86 Family 15 Model 7 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2412 Mhz

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 6/23/2005

SMBIOS Version 2.2

Windows Directory C:WINDOWS

System Directory C:WINDOWSSystem32

Boot Device DeviceHarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)"

User Name JEFF-81C05RRV15Jeff

Time Zone Central Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.61 GB

Total Virtual Memory 5.85 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.22 GB

Page File Space 3.85 GB

Page File C:pagefile.sys

I have had many problems like this, with many different system configurations, all with many different solutions.

There is no 'hard and fast' rule for fixing these BSOD's - it is a process of elimination.

IRQ's are a good place to start, but you need to remember - games stress your ENTIRE system. Prime 95 just stresses your CPU. Dont assume that because you are Prime95 stable that your system is stable. Things to check would be:

- IRQ's

- Available watts/amps

- heat of RAM/GPU/CPU/Chipset

- dodgy drivers

Start by removing all your non-essential hardware (your second hard drive, and second optical drive for example) and see if you get the BSOD's. By removing hardware, you are reducing the chances of all 4 of the above being the source of the problem. IF you continue to get BSOD's, try to check your rails, heat etc. Because you removed hardware, IRQ's will be freed and the strain on your PSU will be reduced. Also, any drivers required to run the removed hardware will not be loaded (in the last instance of this happening to me, removing my TV card helped to remove the BSOD's!)

If the BSOD's go away, start adding hardware one bit at a time. Its a lengthy process, but stick with it!

One other thing - try reapplying thermal paste to your cpu. This cured one of my issues - for some reason, the AS5 I had applied had worn off and the CPU temp was around 55c idle!

best of luck

In the case of the thermal paste.. What is a good core temp for an amd 4000 and what is too high?

Initial Build Guide

There's a decent enough picture of how much paste to apply in this link. Good is however low you can get it, but you want to stay under 50C at load as a general rule of thumb.