Computer SHUTDOWN while Gaming (complete power off after ~20-40 mins g

I think if you are running Windows x64 then it could be a issue with windows, more software then hardware. X64 is BETA so a lot of software has problems until they fix all the bugs in new OS, if you run Prime95 and run 3dMark, if running 3dMark gives no problem then it is 100% windows 64, try a patch for that game.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem had originally started on winxp sp2 - i upgraded to winxp x64 with clean drivers and minimal install in the hope it might cure it.

3dMark01, 3dMark05 and 3dMark06 all cause shutdowns.

Prime95 hasn't caused any shutdowns.

This appears to most definatly be a PSU gone bad, or maybe it just isn't putting out enough power. I have had this problem many times, and I have come to believe that it happens whilst gaming because of the GPU needing more power via the PCI-X 6 pin connector, which puts too much of a load on the PSU.

Can you get your hands on a replacement?

Thanks Mobo mate for a definitive answer.

I've literally replaced every component in this system looking for that elusive trouble-maker - with PSU and CPU the only unreplaced elements left.

I mean i understand that bios-tweaking affects stability, but if it's even crashing when everything is stock AND the cpu is underclocked then it's just doing my nut and i'm tearing out what little hair i have left.

No reply from Tagan RMA still.. i only have 20pin 450w with no pci-ex connectors so it's either order a new one or wait for rma.

Thanks again - I will make serious strides in the psu replacement department.

Cheers ej

After bios tweaking last night the situation just got worse and worse with blue screens appearing into the mix - even though i was reducing the settings back to stock rather than overclocking.

I put back the bios settings that had been the most stable - but these now produced bsod.

I returned it to optimised defaults and underclocked the cpu - but it was shutdown city IN windows - not even 3d.. and one shutdown in the bios even!?

So now i have setup an alternate pc to use while I wait for a new PSU - however after leaving the broken pc off for 20mins - then turning it back on, it's now running OCCT for over an hour with no crashes, whereas two hours ago i couldnt use windows for more than 5mins on idle!?

What an annoying problem :(

hey mate, thanks for the reply :-)

i just replaced my old memory with brand spanking new ocz gold 2x1gb and it still does it. ocz is memtesting for hours no problems.

the only things i havent replaced in the system are psu and cpu.

I bit the bullet and ordered a hiper 580w type-r - but unfortunately no delivery on easter weekend :(

Discouragingly someone with a similiar problem on another thread just had to rma his cpu.. if i did that it would mean i've built an entirely new system from the one that i had originally purchased.

I'll update the thread when it arrives and let y'all know if it fixes it or not.

So my hiper 580w type-r finally arrived today. Installed it at lunchtime - restored my clocked settings which were basically the bleeding edge OCZ suggestions.

I have had world of warcraft running in the background since 1pm - then switched to some Age of Empires 3 at 6pm and then have been looping 3dmark06 since 8pm. It's now 9pm and there is no sign of a shut down. It's too early to properly tell whether it's cured it but the signs certainly appear to be hopeful.

I'll update tomorrow and let you know if it has successfully survived the night of 3dmark06 looping - which the tagan never managed.

Fingers crossed that it was the power supply then. :)

Well - the pc didn't last the night :(

However it was a reset (with no error message) rather than a shut down.

I've since had the pc running all day long and then had a 3hr gaming session with no shut down.

So even after that stupid reset over night, i'm very hopeful the psu replacement did the trick.

Hopefully this is the end to an incredibly annoying and time consuming problem. The Tagan is to be RMA'd.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's been greatly appreciated.

Cheers ej