evga 7800gt CO. Should I put on a arctic cooler rev3?

Guest napalm_merged

Guest napalm

Hey there people in OC land!! I got the below rig with the evga 7800gt CO. It has the copper heatsink. Has anyone out there installed a arctic cooler on this VGA card and if so what have you seen in temps? I am running at 42C at idle and after a lot of gaming it gets up to around 64-70c. I had an arctic cooler on my last rig and it worked awesome. I am just not sure it will lower my temps as it is not a complete copper HS like the stock one. The exhaust air going out the case is just so right in my book and should help. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

id get it. the exhaust of the heat from the card out the back, is worth it alone. it will drop your case temp, help with airflow, cool your video card ~5-10 degrees less during load, and will cool the chipset a bit. and for 30 bucks, shouldnt even be a question.

I have a set of those cards sitting here on the desk that I just took out. I was running them in sli with the artic cooler and they never ran over 51C and were very quiet. They do exhaust most of the heat out of the case but take up some extra room.

I get 50-55 degrees (modest overclock) vs mid 60s before, and it lowered my chipset temp. I reckon it is totally worth it (although a 7800gt plus AC silencer is freakin massive)

Hey there people in OC land!! I got the below rig with the evga 7800gt CO. It has the copper heatsink. Has anyone out there installed a arctic cooler on this VGA card and if so what have you seen in temps? I am running at 42C at idle and after a lot of gaming it gets up to around 64-70c. I had an arctic cooler on my last rig and it worked awesome. I am just not sure it will lower my temps as it is not a complete copper HS like the stock one. The exhaust air going out the case is just so right in my book and should help. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

I run an AC3 on my 7800GT CO and it works beautifully! veru quiet and the temps are very good 38 idle and 48-50c under load. If you get it, be sure to remove the thermal tape and use some artic silver on the contact patch, as well as the mem thermal pads. They don't do as well a job at moving the heat off the GPU.

With this cooler you can do the pencil mod and should have no problems reaching 500 on the core. ;)

Guest napalm

You folks rock!! Thanks a lot for the information and the advice. vrod forums, thanks for the pics. Hey Esstee, what is this pencil mod? Could you point me to where I can find info on doing it? Thanks a lot. I got a AC coming should be here on thursday. Will install this weekend. ANyone else out there have advice on installing. Do I need to remove the thermal pads or should I put AS5 on top of them? If I remove the pads with the copper plate make contact?

You folks rock!! Thanks a lot for the information and the advice. vrod forums, thanks for the pics. Hey Esstee, what is this pencil mod? Could you point me to where I can find info on doing it? Thanks a lot. I got a AC coming should be here on thursday. Will install this weekend. ANyone else out there have advice on installing. Do I need to remove the thermal pads or should I put AS5 on top of them? If I remove the pads with the copper plate make contact?

Sure! have a peek at this little tutorial :)http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=2656&s=1

The 7800GT CO's rock when it comes to overclocking!

Guest napalm

Well I got my Arctic cooler and that thing rocks like there is no tomorrow. It lowered my idle temps from 44C idle to 38C and my full load from 71C to 54C. Now that is great in my book. I did no modding to the cooler such as removing the thermal pads and paste and installing AS5. It seemed like a lot of room for error with the differences in height between GPU and memory. I put it in stock. Also lowered my case temp and chipset temps also. This was for sure worth the time and money. Now lets do some overclocking. Thanks for the help folks.