How do you know if your Memory Voltage is to high

Evsteel

I am scared I am going to hurt the chip while trying to find the max for RAM.

Right now I am at 230Mhz at 3.0v

It is passing BIOS mem test but..............Man I'm scared

Well just start low and see hwo many MHz you can pull on that, then bump up the voltage. Keep doing that. My TCC5 can hit 308MHz on 2.80v. If that RAM is BH-5 though, don't be afraid to pump up to 3.5v through that, BUT, make sure up increase your core voltage otherwise byebye Athlon 64 (Fried memory controller). A good safe core would be 1.5v on 3.5v if you get that high. 1.45 should be good for somnething like 3.2v

Thanks Urok.......... I was worried because Memtest was appearing to move slow thru the test and I thought this meant the voltage was to high.

I still have my CPU core at 1.45v........ So I will keep trying to get the most out of Vdimm at 3.0

But I think I am going to stop there............. I know I'm Chicken$#!+ ........but I do not want to be buying more components because of being greedy.....

BUT, make sure up increase your core voltage otherwise byebye Athlon 64 (Fried memory controller). A good safe core would be 1.5v on 3.5v if you get that high. 1.45 should be good for somnething like 3.2v

huh? my understanding is that the memory controller on the CPU is in no way connected to the actual memory. the voltage on the memory has no effect on the CPU. where can i go to see the reasoning behind the need to increase both voltages together?

Evsteel: memtest will move slow through some parts of the test b/c of the type of testing that it is doing. just make sure that you are not getting any errors. that is the important part. also, make sure you run it long enough to confirm your system is stable (at least a few hours or several complete passes through all memtest tests).

also, as long as you dont make big jumps in voltage while overclocking, you should be fine. if you go from 3.0 to 3.1 and get errors, then fine, you went to far and just go back ASAP. but if you go from 3.0 to 3.5 and get errors, then, yes, you might be doing real damage. just take it slow.

The OCZ Gold is based on Winbond BH-5 chips. They like alot of voltage. They do their best on average with 3.3-3.4V and with the reviews I've seen, the go highest on 2-2-2-5 timings.