System will not restart after poweroff

Very strange problem,

I have had this system together for about 2 mo's waiting on software (don't ask)

I noticed it when I built the system, but just thought it was an anomally and never reproduced it, and since the system was stable let it go at the time since I didn't have everything to finish the system anyway.

Now I finally got all the software loaded, everything appears to be functioning correctly. Turn off the system, turn it back on, nothing.....

About 3 hours of investigation later I have discovered the following.

1) The system will restart all day long.

2) The system will not restart after a power off with out unplugging it from the wall

3) After shutting down the system, LED1 and LED6 (Which are normally on) flash very quickly after initiating power on. LED 1 is brighter than LED6

4) The systems is stable with any combination of slots, any combination of DIMM's

5) Memtest passes with 2 or 4 DIMM's

6) System exhibits no other sign of instability that I can detect (with 2 or 4 DIMM's)

7) Exibits the same behavior with different processors, memory, video cards (I have several of these systems and can swap in identical parts for troubleshooting)

8) The only thing I have not tried is swapping power supplies since this would be very challenging to do with the cables routes as they are. If it was the power supply, I would expect to see other random problems as well.

Thank you for your help

Guest Spartacus

After you hit the power, wait 1-2 minutes and see if it POSTs.

My board has a long delay (about 30 seconds) after I hit the power until the POST starts. The system runs fine otherwise.

Its the seasonic. Its a known problem, and dfi and seasonic were working together to fix it. Then they both spat out their dummies and we are on our butt. I have a seasonic too. I try not to switch off my machine because it is so hard to switch it back on, but when I have too I wonder everytime whether it will actually ever come on again.

As one person said in a thread not too long ago, we've been chucked under a bus on this issue. I am not impressed that arguably the worlds best motherboards are not compatible with the most efficient PSU's there is going, and am still hoping for a way around this. Have a look here if you have time. It gets sad around page 15 if I remember correctly.

And you find this acceptable?

I can not tell my boss that he has to wait 1-2 min. to restart his system.

I left the system off (still plugged in) for an hour, and it still will not turn on.

When you hit the power button, the power LED (front of case) flashes, but nothing happens.

Thank you

This happened to me once. After shutting down the system it would not start back up and the LEDs were flashing, it was very weird. Has never happened again though, which is even weirder since i haven’t changed a thing.

Edit- To fix it, I just left the PC off and unplugged for a few hours.

This happens to me as well and I am using an OCZ Powerstream 520w. Other than this problem everything is great. I need to update my sig with the new system but I just wanted to post this first because I dont think buying an OCZ powersupply will fix this mans problem.

My system boots fine all day long and will boot fine as long as Windows shuts down properly however in the event of a crash or some other problem requiring a power down via the power button the system will not power on without first unplugging it and waiting for all LED's (The yellow ones) on the board to go out then plugging it back in and hitting the power button.

I agree that this isn't just a problem w/ Seasonic.

I have an OCZ & this problem exists for me. However, somewhere it was mentioned that the power switch on the front of some cases have problems. If I rapidly push the switch I can power on w/out pulling any cords.

The problem lies in the distance the case switch travels.

Try it.

Of course, Everything is hooked up properly and system is stable runs great for me 7581 3Dmarks06 looped for around 5-6 hours Prime 95 Stable for 36 hours+ No temp problems nothing everything is great except for this bug with the power on.

It has something to do with the MB because it reboots fine if you unplug it and wait for the MB to lose all power (i.e All leds on it go out) then plug it back in bam powers right up no problems.

It also reboots fine under all circumstances other than a hard power off via the power button. It is a problem that I can live with but it is a problem that DFI should research as I can see how inconveniecing this can be for someone whose computer is buried in a desk or some such where it is difficult to reach the power switch on the power supply or otherwise unplug the thing to get it up and running again.

If you want to test this for yourself hold in your power button until your system powers down (Don't press and release). Once the computer turns off try and turn it back on. Problem is pretty easily replicated there.

If Windows does not power down under normal circumstances i.e. a Hard reset vis the power button the board will not power back up without first having power removed from it.

LMAO That is a very good tip fariss,

I just tried it and rapidly mashing the power switch does allow it to turn back on. However, and this is just a hunch, I suspect the rapid mashing of the switch drains the capacitors on the MB of power much the same as unplugging the power supply. Which is why the system powers on?