170 0550vpmw

Grinch

Tell me if this is normal I am in windows @1.4V(bios) and can't prime at all but have no problems running 3dmark05/06,BF2,or Counter Strike...

Tell me if this is normal I am in windows @1.4V(bios) and can't prime at all but have no problems running 3dmark05/06,BF2,or Counter Strike...

At what speeds ?? divider ?? no divider ?? a little more info might help.. ;)

If its the 2800mhz oc in your sig.. up that darn vcore a little.. !!

Prime will tend to want more vcore to be fully stable.. I can get into windows and run benchmarks at 290x10 or maybe more but it will fail prime in seconds..

I need 1.525V to be prime stable at 2.8 also running 1:1....ram is good up to 283mhz in memtest....all in all in my opinion unless I am "folding" or doing quantum psyhics for nasa... prime is not that crucial...that's just my opinon...I mean when am I going to have both cores under 100% load at all times? I am not trying to undermind anybody or say that priming is useless...but for what I do....I just don't see the point....unless I am just arrogant...please feel free to correct me if I seem out of line. :D;)

I need 1.525V to be prime stable at 2.8 also running 1:1....ram is good up to 283mhz in memtest....all in all in my opinion unless I am "folding" or doing quantum psyhics for nasa... prime is not that crucial...that's just my opinon...I mean when am I going to have both cores under 100% load at all times? I am not trying to undermind anybody or say that priming is useless...but for what I do....I just don't see the point....unless I am just arrogant...please feel free to correct me if I seem out of line. :D;)

I dont think your out of line.. Its basically your opinion and your are entitled to have one whether I agree with you or not..

I do agree that most of us dont dish out as much stress as prime does to our cpu's with our everyday type stuff.. But being so unstable with prime can eventually lead to corrupted files and problems..

Another thing is when your comparing overclocks, you NEED some sort of standard to judge their stability.. I mean its just not fair to compare an overclock thats 8+ hours prime stable to one that doesnt pass 15min's..

This is my take on this.. :cool:

I agree too, 100%. When I overclock I do that to get as much performance out of my hardware as possible, on a 100% stable 24/7 setup. I run dual prime for at least 10 hours, if I can do that and not have any crashes when gaming I am happy.

I will not go above 1,5vcore, nor above 55c stable temperatures when priming. That is my envelope, and suicide shots doesnt impress me either :angel:

Very interesting. So, you have a non magical 170 0550VPMW. Damn, bad luck dude. I feel for you.

Have you tried priming at lower Ghz at the same voltage? When I first powered on my 170, it was not stable at 2.6Ghz @ 1.375V. It required 1.39V to prime successfully.

Did you purchase this from FlickerDown? What is your batch#?

Good luck

cjoe

Very interesting. So, you have a non magical 170 0550VPMW. Damn, bad luck dude. I feel for you.

Have you tried priming at lower Ghz at the same voltage? When I first powered on my 170, it was not stable at 2.6Ghz @ 1.375V. It required 1.39V to prime successfully.

Did you purchase this from FlickerDown? What is your batch#?

Good luck

cjoe

got magic chip...magic chip just runs hot from default..here is whole number:

CCB1E 0550VPMW

1387678L50358

bout to go to water cooling that should fix my problem...looking at:

Swiftech H20-APEX

any good?

got magic chip...magic chip just runs hot from default..here is whole number:

CCB1E 0550VPMW

1387678L50358

bout to go to water cooling that should fix my problem...looking at:

Swiftech H20-APEX

any good?

Yup, you got one from the magic batch. I'm envious but confused. Clint and Absolute_0 (along with many others from XS) with your batch# are prime stable @ 2.9Ghz with very low volts. I guess its still the luck of the draw; some are better than others.

I don't have any experience with that kit but from the specs and review. It looks very promising. I really like the water block - great design and mounting system. Are you interested in flow rate or quietness? Generally, American WC systems are large bore / high flow systems. Those tend to be brute force systems. There are several quiet / low flow European systems that also do a very good job.

Here are some considerations:

1) 1/2" ID systems are difficult to work with unless you have a huge case.

2) The Swiftech system comes with a dual radiator. Can you mount it internally?

3) If you can't, do you need to cut holes in your case to accomodate the 1/2" tubes?

4) Moreover, can you mount the 120mm external radbox adapter on your case?

5) 6mm/8mm/10mm systems are easy to work with. The tubes bend much easier; its really important if you plan to WC your GPU and Chipset also.

6) Buying individual components will usually give you better performance at a lower price

7) Using a 2 single 120 radiators provides great performance. Pump -> Res -> Rad -> CPU -> Rad -> Vid -> Chip -> Pump

8) Checkout Aqua computer WC systems, Waterchill (Extreme Pump), & Koolance for moderate/low flow systems.

Consider your application. Do you need pure performance (benchmarking), gaming system, moderate performance / quiet, or very quiet. You can mix and match your components. Check out SharkaCorp's website for Aqua parts.

cjoe

Yup, you got one from the magic batch. I'm envious but confused. Clint and Absolute_0 (along with many others from XS) with your batch# are prime stable @ 2.9Ghz with very low volts. I guess its still the luck of the draw; some are better than others.

I don't have any experience with that kit but from the specs and review. It looks very promising. I really like the water block - great design and mounting system. Are you interested in flow rate or quietness? Generally, American WC systems are large bore / high flow systems. Those tend to be brute force systems. There are several quiet / low flow European systems that also do a very good job.

Here are some considerations:

1) 1/2" ID systems are difficult to work with unless you have a huge case.

2) The Swiftech system comes with a dual radiator. Can you mount it internally?

3) If you can't, do you need to cut holes in your case to accomodate the 1/2" tubes?

4) Moreover, can you mount the 120mm external radbox adapter on your case?

5) 6mm/8mm/10mm systems are easy to work with. The tubes bend much easier; its really important if you plan to WC your GPU and Chipset also.

6) Buying individual components will usually give you better performance at a lower price

7) Using a 2 single 120 radiators provides great performance. Pump -> Res -> Rad -> CPU -> Rad -> Vid -> Chip -> Pump

8) Checkout Aqua computer WC systems, Waterchill (Extreme Pump), & Koolance for moderate/low flow systems.

Consider your application. Do you need pure performance (benchmarking), gaming system, moderate performance / quiet, or very quiet. You can mix and match your components. Check out SharkaCorp's website for Aqua parts.

cjoe

done........ordered Swiftech H20-APEX Extreme Duty....I figure that I have a good base there and if I need to mod or buy anything else I already have great pump and waterblock....want fast/quite machine.....these are my temps right now on air:

http://www.badongo.com/pic.php?file=rightn...now.jpg&s=black

I have pwmic and chipset taken care of...