Should I update chipset drivers?

Hi there :D

Should I update my chipset drivers? Cant say Ive been having many driver issues, I used the drivers supplied with the cd.

Just wanted to know if its wise to update them or leave things as they are :confused:

If I do update is there any precautions to take other than not installing the firewall and ide drivers? And should I remove old drivers before attempting to load the new ones?

I have version 6.70 downloaded from nvidia but I am yet to install them.

Cant say Ive been having many driver issues,

And yet you fell straight-away for that line about more stable with newer drivers. Always fix what is not broken is a rule to live by, I suppose.

RGone...

And yet you fell straight-away for that line about more stable with newer drivers. Always fix what is not broken is a rule to live by, I suppose.

RGone...

Didnt fall for anything, I am on asking for advise, I am yet to install the new drivers.

There is always the option to improve things isnt there? for all I know updated drivers could improve my system, but I didnt know and thats why I asked.

BTW was that some sort of attempt at attitude ?

Didnt fall for anything, I am on asking for advise, I am yet to install the new drivers.

There is always the option to improve things isnt there? for all I know updated drivers could improve my system, but I didnt know and thats why I asked.

BTW was that some sort of attempt at attitude ?

There's no need to take offense. I suppose it simply was an advice to evaluate why, or if you’re having a need, for an update of drivers.

Same thing about BIOS: just because there’s a new one doesn’t mean it necessarily will work better in your system.

So, what – even if few – issues did you experience, which you would like to fix by updating drivers?

Guest thespin

New drivers rarely do anything major ... sometimes fix one bug ... sometimes introduce a more serious bug ... most times just to handle a situation that few people encounter ...

Take Rgone's advice ... if it ain't broke, don't fix it ... and THAT IS brown nosing ... hi, Rgone ... :)

BTW dont stand upto RGone u will get burned lol

P.S Love you RGone

P.S.S, Dont be so violent RGone is the man :cool:

Yeah you might just wanna wipe your nose there, its a funny shade of brown.

Im not on to start trouble, its just I dont like attitude and I dont take attitude. Thats just me, I dont try and act hard on forum boards like an immature child. I just needa point out that I dont take **** from anyone in the nicest possible way.

Believe me I have no fear in standing up to anyone, and if we all had your defeatist attitude we would get nowhere.

Thanks guys for the kind words. It is ok though. I often have to really strike a point with a user to get them to hold off making changes for nothing; that have caused undue stress and strain on others that have upgraded a working system to find they are in the shetts for sure now and no good way out. Like I said thanks for the support men.

@ markinIreland. Yep man it was attitude if you want to call it that. An attitude that says > "oh my gawd not another with a working system that may go down when trying other than driver from DFI site"; since I don't think any of the latest drivers have been tested or looked at on DFI boards by any DFI engineer in Taiwan.

The same can be said for bios updating and all this what bios is best stuff that is said about bioses and drivers and a working system. Why upgrade? No reason unless any upgrade specifically addresses an issue that you have occurring. That has been pretty basic knowledge in 'technical' computering for years. Then along comes all the DIY and Nforce chipsets and the flash a day to keep the doctor away syndrome I have seen for almost 3 years now. I get them all the time in tech support emails where they flashed the bios and now the board is no workee. Why? H*ll if I know. Probably something they did. Or act of the computer gawds. I really don't know since I am not there. But I never advise any flash or upgrade that is not specifically addressing some problem with a user system. It is not worth the hassle and distress a good deal of the time.

And then you come to the point where you ask if you should install over the top of the old drivers and many of us 'un-install' and upgrade fresh. Yes, I do. BUT if you run raid and un-install the Nvidia drivers >> SAY goodbye to booting into your O/s on raid anymore. That is why I have images of my partitions for SAFETY and security if I want to try a driver or bios flash or what have you. I try to cover the upcoming trial with a secure back-up before bailing off into No-Mans Land. Most here don't. Trying to explain every caveat, here never gets one fully knowledgeable. Only trial and error and repair of one's own mistakes ever makes one any wiser.

Often I have to try and put myself INTO jsp mode just to pull some foolish stunt to see what the outcome an average user may see when doing how they do. It is tough to do so since I have had some of the best teachers anywhere in the old Iwill KK266R board days. Guys that were smart and educated 10's or 100's of times more than myself and knew computers. They never told me go do this but here is how you learn what to do. No feeding me a meal of fish but rather they taught me to fish. Huge difference in the two.

Ok off that since you should see why I hate updating working systems to possibly just make a mess. A mess that is not easily fixed in some instances.

I don't run any of the drivers you guys are running most likely. Why? Because I will after a period of time when I am sure how the originals all work and having seen all the smashed fingers from new drivers and reading post after post all over the net>> finally upgrade to a new driver when and only when it is proven to work by those I trust across the internet. And by no means are they all in these forums. Not hardly. Some here, yes, but not nearly the only places I check out for problems or betterment in an update/upgrade.

I run the nf4amd/intel16x drivers now and I like them. I took them and made the F6 disk for install of raid 0 without need of slipstreaming raid onto the install disk.

But did you see what was key there? The key was I modded parts of the setup to work. Not Nvidia and not DFI but myself for myself and it works. As time goes along and I get more trusted users trying the driver setup that I made then maybe it will be something for posting up here. But not until then. Yes, it works for me and yes if I make a mistake I am prepared to recover. That is so 'not' true in most cases.

That is why I am so against updating for the h*ll of it and will almost p*ss a user off to get them to stop and think before risking not working in place of what was working. Yes, that attitude.

RGone...

You trying to intimidate me with blabber? lol, honestly mate the above seems quite sycotic to me, its kinda like your brain is moving to fast and you require a good slap round the face to slow you down.

Attitude will just wind me up, I dont take attitude from my own father never mind someone I dont know. I will not change myself to accommodate anyone, especially someone on a forum for a motherboard.

Me :

I am very far from an expert on dfi motherboards or any motherboard for that matter and have no problem addmitting that Im still learning. If I was an expert I would have no need to post anything , so if someone asks a question its because they wanna know an answer, they do not want attitude.

Blabber and attitude do not impress me , save it for some other fool that will listen to it