Turion Support problems?

as for C&Q...I have no idea if it works on a mobile/dtr cpu because I am always overclocking which means it must be disabled

never use software to adjust any hardware/bios setting...you will find out the hard way that this can severely mess up your system and even destroy some hardware

Considering this is a motherboard made for overclocking, it's pretty funny to hear you against underclocking.

People use Rightmark all the time. I was asking for specific instructions regarding this board. If you don't have experience with that, fine.

Robert

Considering this is a motherboard made for overclocking, it's pretty funny to hear you against underclocking.

People use Rightmark all the time. I was asking for specific instructions regarding this board. If you don't have experience with that, fine.

Robert

LOL uh oh...

Watch out now :P

LOL underclocking, wuts th@ anyway..

Get em angry :mad:

Robert

um

considering this board was NOT EVER INTENDED TO BE OVERCLOCKED, it looks like I was correct in my initial assessment

if everyone uses drugs all the time, would you still consider it safe to use drugs just because someone on some forum somewhere that uses drugs says its ok?

i don't care if the pope uses Rightmark, if I say not to use it, it means there's a pretty specific reason why I say not to use it...and I pretty much gave you the reason why not to use it, now didn't I?

I mean, you don't have to listen to anything I say of course, that is the beauty of being human and in my case an american...but if someone who...you know...has the board and has had it since day one...and works for the company doing support that makes the board...and tells you that you shouldn't do something just because someone else does it all the time...well...you don't have to consider that valid advice...

um

considering this board was NOT EVER INTENDED TO BE OVERCLOCKED, it looks like I was correct in my initial assessment

if everyone uses drugs all the time, would you still consider it safe to use drugs just because someone on some forum somewhere that uses drugs says its ok?

i don't care if the pope uses Rightmark, if I say not to use it, it means there's a pretty specific reason why I say not to use it...and I pretty much gave you the reason why not to use it, now didn't I?

I mean, you don't have to listen to anything I say of course, that is the beauty of being human and in my case an american...but if someone who...you know...has the board and has had it since day one...and works for the company doing support that makes the board...and tells you that you shouldn't do something just because someone else does it all the time...well...you don't have to consider that valid advice...

I knew it was coming :P

you let him off a bit easy didnt you, getting soft on us lately?

sike, I dont think he knew... the book cover thing...

um

considering this board was NOT EVER INTENDED TO BE OVERCLOCKED...

Yah, right. Now you lost all credibility, since you just said you overclock yourself.

Buh bye. Thanks for not helping.

Does DFI know you're an butthole?

(kill me off this board, I really don't care)

Robert

• 7 months later...

Hate to rehash this beauty of a thread. So I opened up a new one - "Mobile Sempron 2600+ Sonora".

The problem is very similar, both mobile processors, both experiencing greatly reduced 800Mhz CPU clocks.

With my setup the processor is recognized at boot as a "Mobile Sempron 2600+". Great right? Anyone know how it can be that the BIOS recognizes the processor, but that it uses the wrong clock multiplier?

Please direct future replies to the new thread! Thanks. PS. "Happy_Games", might I ask you about manually setting the Clock Multiplier? The "Genie" settings of the bios appear to be well hidden in my version of the firmware - 3/15/2005. Can tell me about the firmware version you are using, and which mobile processor you tried?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking into using a Turion in a low power mobile (boat) PC and found this bit of information over at "Silent PC Reviews" in an article on using Turions in desktops ( http://www.silentpcreview.com/article300-page1.htm).

In this article (page 3) an AMD rep explains the diff between "C'nQ" and "PowerNow!" I quote,

"A conversation with Damon Muzny at AMD revealed why: Cool'n'Quiet for Athlon 64 and PowerNow! for the Turion 64 are similar, but not identical. The difference is in the default power state of the processors: The Turion defaults to the lowest clock frequency and voltage, and with PowerNow!, the clock jumps up when needed. The Athlon 64 defaults to the highest clock frequency with Cool'n'Quiet dropping down the speed and voltage when the processor is idling. Naturally, CnQ and PN! have differences in their code, which is why the default clock speed of the Turion 64 was 800 MHz on this DFI board."

You might just leave as is and try running the AMD Power Monitor utility @

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...1_13349,00.html

to see if you clock rate dynamically changes up under demand, unless of course you're overclocking and are going to "Happily" set everything manually.

Yo GrammatonCleric, great info. Though you may want to check the link to SilentPCReview. Your post is the first that actually makes sense of what is going on with the clock multiplier and these mobile chips. Awesome.

And for those interested the specific part in the article about PowerNOW! is available on page 3. The article looks fairly good, but is rather long:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article300-page3.html

I already swapped out my mobile sempron from the DFI board, and now I wish I hadn't. I will definitely put the chip back in at the first chance I get, install the PowerNOW! software and post the results. Q: However, doesn't the board need to support PowerNOW (ie similar to motherboard support of Cool'n'quiet)? I guess there is one way to find out...

Incidentally, why would one disable Cool'n'Quiet when overclocking? My limited impression is Cool'n'Quiet would be even more useful when overclocking. Note: I have done this without any problems (just bumping up the clock speed not changing the multiplier).