Just got an expert :D

Just got my expert in today from Newegg for hold over when I RMA my Ultra-D

So far it is very nice :) Couldn't boot into windows with auto settings for memory, but at least it doesn't cold boot. I got a couple questions before I delve into overclocking with it:

I am not going to ask which BIOS is the best, I know the answer to that, but which is the most recommended at the moment? I saw Tony made a BTA for the expert.

Also, I heard something about the VID% being to high and it frying the CPU. Does running at a higher volt and smaller VID% help decrease the chances of frying it? I know the whole thing about the vDimm being too high with low cpu too.

It does report much lower temps, I am hoping a BIOS update can fix it, but its a nice board despite what people say :nod:

Quick question, why are you RMA'n your Ultra-D? I just bought one for a new system and I hope that wasn't a mistake (I'm going with a high end processor, probably Opteron 175ish or X2 4800+ if I can just figure out which is the better choice for the Ultra-D)

Tao

Yes don´t use high percentage increase. The lower the safer you are. Also when you cut power on the PSU or pull the power cord. Wait 10-15 seconds before putting power on again at least. The expert is kind of funny for me. When I put in the power cord again the 120 mm starts to spinn and the power leds light up. Not really comfortable with that but I guess if the mainboard would get that voltage my computerwould have been fried already...

As mentioned above the 12/07 BIOS is supposed to have fixed this problem - but as you noted make sure you take in to account the following info when setting vcore.

The problem is with a combination of low VID and high special VID % - when booting the board with this situation the board uses stock VID mutiplied by the VID% and can overvolt the CPU. This happens because it takes a second or two for the board to engage the specified VID when it boots. Check out a thread on this as XS

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83876