Ooops, question about 7800gt.

I got a nvsilencer in the mail today, was trying to take off the stock heatsink/fan, while doing so i managed to scrape 2 of those tiny diode thingys off the graphics card. They were on the back side by one of the screws. Should i worry about this/ RMA it. I ran aquamark and got 85,000. Does anyone know what those little things are and if they are critical to the card?

I got a nvsilencer in the mail today, was trying to take off the stock heatsink/fan, while doing so i managed to scrape 2 of those tiny diode thingys off the graphics card. They were on the back side by one of the screws. Should i worry about this/ RMA it. I ran aquamark and got 85,000. Does anyone know what those little things are and if they are critical to the card?

All components are important. Diodes essentially act as one-ways for current. If you still have them, take them and the card to someone who's handy with a soldering iron (an EE or other electronics junky). They should be able to reattach them, or even replace them with compatible diodes if you can show them the type that was broken off.

If they were diodes (or capacitors), your card will probably struggle with power regulation. It's probably a good idea to stop using it until you can get it repaired or replaced. That said, if it's working and you don't mind the risk, you may have gotten lucky and be OK. Good luck...

Dang, i hope its ok, do you know what i am talking about. Little like silver things, there are quite a few of them. But i just got out of a game and my card stock cooled was 66 degrees C which i have not seen it at. Could it affect the cooling of it?

Dang, i hope its ok, do you know what i am talking about. Little like silver things, there are quite a few of them. But i just got out of a game and my card stock cooled was 66 degrees C which i have not seen it at. Could it affect the cooling of it?

I haven't seen the back of a 7800GT, but video cards usually have just about everything on the back...IC's, diodes, capacitors, etc.

And if its causing power regulation problems, it would absolutely lead to higher temps, either through power regulation related heat, or an incorrect voltage being presented to the gpu, memory, etc. If you have noticed distinctly higher temps, I'd quit using the card immediately...

I just installed my NV5s on my 7800 GTs, and yes, I would stop using the card. Those diodes are checks put in place to feed the right voltage to a certain component. While your core temperature could be around 66C, your memory, because it is being fed an additional say .03 volts, could be overheating. or it could be any other little component.