DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

Guest culinist

ubuntu64 rules. Just like it's cousin ubuntu_hoary. The only problem is the same as other 64bit distros, flash pluggins and w32codecs. Other than that it is awesome. The ubuntu forums are the best I have found. Many tips and tricks to get it up and runnin smoothly.

Even got my 9800pro installed, smooth as silk:

scott@black:~ $ fglrxinfo

display: :0.0  screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: RADEON 9800 Pro Generic

OpenGL version string: 1.3.4769 (X4.3.0-8.8.25)

Frames pretty much suck, but I won't be playin many intense games on her so I can live with it. The beauty was, it only took 5 min to get em up and goin:)

If you need an easy distro to install on AMD64 ubuntu would be a good choice.

cul

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like its been a little while since anyones posted here.

If you need an easy distro...

For reasons i cannot explain, i like the road less travelled - the path of more resistence than i thought. I now have got a 64 bit version of gentoo up and running! and some things just fly. the opening movie sequence for ut2004 looks just amazing. For the curious I used the 2005.0 AMD64 version of gentoo, with binary disk (i don't have a fast internet connection to download all of the latest source. But there are a couple of bugs to complicate things...beat my head against a wall. On the upside a workaround has been posted.

gentoo feels like LFS with a rockin' package manager. it's about halfway between doing it straight from source and doing it with rpms, debs etc

also

- nvidia has released a new version of their linux video driver -

feels like it works better ... i was getting about 7800 fps in glxgears with it.

Guest culinist

I was running gentoo on my NF2, but I just don't have the patience to wait so freakin long to install something. emerge is sweet but I don't think it is quite for me. Gonna stick to Debian based distros for now. The install was very educational though and I would recommend that anyone who wants to learn about linux to install it at least once.

"For reasons i cannot explain, i like the road less travelled - the path of more resistence than i thought"

I think that is why we run linux in the first place.:)

Guest culinist

Whooooooo-Hooooooooo!!!!

After about 7,000 failed attempts I finally have 3d rendering with my 9800pro under Debian. It was just a matter of finding the right guide and method. That and a whole lot o' "linux learnin'"

:):):)

Cool, how do you like ubuntu?

I like it. I am using the Gnome interface in the A64 version, and KDE in my P3 laptop. My only hitch was with the laptop and ndiswrapper, but it is solved now.

On the A64, the chipset and gpu were properly detected, and with the help of the guys in the Ubuntu forum I installed drivers for the 6800GT.

It is fast, not a resource hog, does not crash and it just looks so good.

Guest culinist

Yep I was running ubuntu64. I go through distros like potato chips. I liked it too. If you want to try a fast distro you should try the Debian amd64_pure install. It is quite a bit quicker than any other I have tried. The only thing that put me off was the need for a 32bit chroot to run flash. I am now running ubuntu32_hoary and debian_testing, both 32bit, on my 64. And, debian_unstable on my 32. I'm gonna put debian amd64_pure back on as soon as they start giving some security updates to it. Should be soon since sarge just went stable.

my dfi system .. LFS 32bit because I'm a little to lame still to build my own 64bit

kernel 2.6.11.7

This is the same linux install I was using on my previous system .. A7N8X-E Deluxe with an oc 2200+ thoroughbred ... All I needed to accomplish the switch over was:

sk98lin kernel patch + direct hack of the sk98lin.c file to remove some error mesages

remove agp support from kernel

enable pci-x support

change USB type

rebuild kernel, reboot, play ... :D

I was pretty stressed initially that I was going to have numerous issues on the transition, but it went really smoothly. At this point, the only issue I have run into has been in a 64bit linux os (using as a build host) while at my current oc leaves me unable to bootstrap a gcc build and crashes kernel builds.

I haven't gone full SLI on my board simply for the fact that there is no linux support for SLI yet.

Doom3 play much nicer now than on my a7n8x (fx5700 ultra). I can play 1280x1024 high quality and die in much better detail .. :nod:

Guest culinist

"Doom3 play much nicer now than on my a7n8x (fx5700 ultra). I can play 1280x1024 high quality and die in much better detail .."

For me it ran much better than in windows.

For me it ran much better than in windows.

I bought doom3 for the native linux gameplay

I generally don't run windows at all. Unfortunately, all the tools to benchmark and stress test my oc are only made for windows. I'm also playing with the nvraid right now and don't use initrd images, so I have no way to load a bootable raid and also have my linux drive safely removed from the system right now.

when I have everything running, I have 3 80gb linux drives ..

hda1 = /boot 100MB

hda2 = / 2GB

hda3 = swap 512MB

hda4 = /usr balance of drive

hdb1 - 4 = same layout as above

hdc = storage

my running LFS build shuffles between hda and hdb (if current running build is on hda, when I build a newer version, it is built to hdb .. if current is on hdb, then new build is to hda).

It really gets fun when I have to rebuild my laptop .. that's pulling the laptop drive, installing it into a 2.5" external usb2 adapter. I can do almost everything except xorg using my desktop system as the host, but due to teh kernel requirements, have to switch the drive back to the laptop at that point .. and it's slow building on the laptop .. PIII 1.13

I ocasionally have to subject my systems to my clients' systems that may or may not be virus infected. Since I can pretty much do everything I need via linux, I'm able to better protect myself from infections.