DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

using a testing version of LinuxFromScratch - 6.1.1 LiveCD.

linky: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/packages.html

The -march=athlon64 -mtune=athlon64 switches are dependant on the version of gcc used. The version of gcc I'm using is 3.4.3.

thanks for the 64bit linux link...will start downloading it later

(and maybe for the next two days - lol - I'm still on dial-up).

FYI ... info/download almost any Linux distro @

http://www.distrowatch.com

my dfi system .. LFS 32bit because I'm a little to lame still to build my own 64bit

it is quite the steep learning curve. Which is the only real downside. Having two sets of important system libraries can be very tricky - but it can be done...as for myself, I too did not yet build an 64 bit linux yet.

Nice to see another LFS user.

it is quite the steep learning curve. Which is the only real downside. Having two sets of important system libraries can be very tricky - but it can be done...as for myself, I too did not yet build an 64 bit linux yet.

Nice to see another LFS user.

There's an issue with perl and building for 64bit. It doesn't like the lib layouts and fails the build. I've finally got most everything else building, but with the perl failing on the build, it leaves me without any build tools.

My current LFS systems ..

System in my signature: 6.1-testing-20050205 (testing version)

Laptop: 6.1-testing-20050127 (testing version)

Basement fileserver: SVN-20050221 (unstable)

The first 2 originated from a fedora (yarrow) host, but are now several generations along as 100% no other host systems ..

my running LFS build shuffles between hda and hdb (if current running build is on hda, when I build a newer version, it is built to hdb .. if current is on hdb, then new build is to hda).

The system in the basement was built from an Ubuntu 32bit host .. hoary iirc.

After getting tired of redhat / fedora needing more and more cd to install from, I wanted to know why ther was so much bloat and first played with core linux, but even that didn't answer the questions and all of the guides I kept finding for adding extras to core pushed me into LFS build instructions.

to date,

initial linux introduction was Slack 3.x (1996 or so) took me six months to get my dialup working, but when it did I got rid of windows for the next couple of years

Debian, redhat, fedora, core, LFS, ubuntu, ubuntu64, gentoo, gentoo64, knoppix, linspire

I was the only person at the ISP I used to work for (was a manager) who was not running a native windows system (this included the ISP server .. they were all running NT) .. I was running redhat 6.2 and spent $99 on a license for VMware so that I could run an NT workstation to access the phone system software correctly

The best thing of all about linux now is that it gained enough popularity to be able to stay fairly up to date with all of the new hardware technologies coming out, whih makes it possible to run with new toys like an SLI-DR mb .. :nod:

The only issue that really exists is the audio .. it's intel (intel8x0) on the inside, and doesn't like to emulate oss sound for quake2 and kingpin and doesn't do multi channel (this is what I've been told, not directly experienced .. I still use 2 speakers). I've worked past this by using a cmedia CM8738 card.

lmsensors works great, I just need to fix the conf file so that my 3.3v isn't reading at 2x the value.

I haven't done anything SATA yet as I still don't have any SATA drives

Guest culinist

lmsensors works great, I just need to fix the conf file so that my 3.3v isn't reading at 2x the value""

Yeah me too, it only reads double on my NF3 not on my NF2. Haven't look into it yet though. What values do you change. It is it the .gkrellm2/sensor-config ? Gonna have to "goolgle" it here in a minute.

cul

Guest culinist

My fault, it is the /etc/sensors.conf. Lots of stuff it there. If you can figure it out let me know. I just adjusted the value in gkrellm for now. I'll try and figure it out when I get back from mowin' some lawns.

My fault, it is the /etc/sensors.conf. Lots of stuff it there. If you can figure it out let me know. I just adjusted the value in gkrellm for now. I'll try and figure it out when I get back from mowin' some lawns.

Find this in sensors.conf

# If 3.3V reads 2X too high (Soyo Dragon and Asus A7V8X-X, for example),

# comment out following line.

compute in2 2*@ , @/2

comment out

compute in2 2*@ , @/2

so it looks like:

# compute in2 2*@ , @/2

run sensors -s as root

edit sensors-config in your .Gkrellm dir in your ~/ folder, find teh 3.3 volt line and change it to this:

sensor "+3.3V" "it8712-0-0290/in2" 10000 0 1 0

Now the 3.3v shouldn't be showing as 2x the value .. :D

Guest culinist
Find this in sensors.conf

# If 3.3V reads 2X too high (Soyo Dragon and Asus A7V8X-X, for example),

# comment out following line.

compute in2 2*@ , @/2

comment out

compute in2 2*@ , @/2

so it looks like:

# compute in2 2*@ , @/2

run sensors -s as root

edit sensors-config in your .Gkrellm dir in your ~/ folder, find teh 3.3 volt line and change it to this:

sensor "+3.3V" "it8712-0-0290/in2" 10000 0 1 0

Now the 3.3v shouldn't be showing as 2x the value .. :D

Awesome, thanks man, worked like a charm :D

Guest culinist
Gentoo here

I installed Gentoo just to see if I could. I'm not patient enough to wait for all the compile time. If I would have seen a big performance increase over Debian I would have stuck it out, but as it was, it was more of a challenge than a desire to run Gentoo day to day. Portage is awesome though.

Hey maybe if we get enough folks to post in here, the Man (AG) will give us a Linux section:):)

i am sure u haven't used the maximum tweaking abilities of Gentoo to install it since u r saying u haven't notice a big increase in performance

i am sure u followed the normal howto from the Gentoo website

see this thread for a small example how can u tweak ur Gentoo install more and more for great increase in perfromance

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-319349.html

Guest culinist

You are correct I did not completely tweak out Gentoo. I did build a kernel but no major tweaks. My point was that I could not justify the time spent compiling. It just wasn't for me. Those that use Gentoo seem to love it, and I'm sure that there are benifits that I did not come acrossed in my short venture. Like I said I really only installed it to see if i could, and for some "linux learnin".

I love my Debian and will continue to use it as long as it exists. You know we all find a home somewhere.:)