DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah im done with linux for another year or two

too much hassle

ive tried every trick I can think of, even worked with the guys in teh Ubuntu IRC channel and it still don't work.

if these THREE installs won't work, why would I bother to try a 4th, 5th or 6th install?

i won't.

it was cool to check it out again, but it is still inferior to windows in the sense that it is just not ready for prime time (superiority in function is no match for ease-of-use)

ill download Debian but I fear the same thing will happen...it will install perfectly but I won't get any 3d acceleration

btw, when i first setup Ubuntu again with a 6600GT, the screen was so corrupted that i had to go to command line, and I DID install the Nvidia drivers...after an hour of fooling with the damn thing, I got the nv logo and it booted to the desktop (Gnome).

but

still no 3d acceleration

this is unacceptable

AG,

Ref post 221, I'll help if you want. Usually it's just a little bit of help that will get you over the edge. I've got you on my skype too. Hey, if you're using a 6600/6800 I'm sure we can get you up and running with CENTOS linux.

• 2 weeks later...

***bang head against wall***

I seem to have run into a problem compiling gcc 4 on a pure 64 bit linux (tried gentoo as well as LFS). It seems that the computer hangs at some point or another. I'm not sure exactly what's going on - maybe someone else could give this a try and report back.

pure 32 bit OS's run fine (had LFS-6.0 going until I decided to delete it) as well as i386 FreeBSD.

when sata drives are introduced into a linux system, how are they seen?

for example,

with the current arrangement in my system:

hda - 80GB wd - grub hd0 <-- important as this is my boot drive

hdb - 80GB wd

hdc - 80GB wd

hdd - NEC DVDRW

when I install the SATA drives (JBOD), with my grub drive orders be affected (displacing hd0) and will the sata drives show as hda and hdb resulting in my need to reconfigure my fstab?

the SATA drives will be seen as sda, sdb, etc.

there should be no need to change the fstab file, except to add the SATA drive.

One gotcha:

depending on how the BIOS sees the hd's this might affect things. Playing with the boot order can make a difference (and make sure that you boot drive is still being seen as hd0 by GRUB).

the SATA drives will be seen as sda, sdb, etc.

there should be no need to change the fstab file, except to add the SATA drive.

One gotcha:

depending on how the BIOS sees the hd's this might affect things. Playing with the boot order can make a difference (and make sure that you boot drive is still being seen as hd0 by GRUB).

It's the grub that I'm more concerned about. worst case, I'll just do a minimal ubuntu install and get a grub + /boot on one of the new drives. It might get even stranger anyway, I might drop my ata raid controller card back in so I can split the hard drives completely away from anything that the dvd is doing

I just installed Suse 9.2 Pro on a box yesterday that has a XP2000+ and a Nvidia TI4600 in it, went and did the auto update, and it downloaded the Nvidia driver for me and was running like a champ in an hour. I have tried Red Hat, Mandrake, Knoppix and more I cant even remember, Suse is my fav! This Suse box rox!

They have 9.3 out now and you can do an FTP download for free!

Try this one AG, they have 32 and 64 bit versions for you, I'm telling you this is the best distro I have played with, bar none.

Now if I can just learn all those linux commands...............

FAH502-Linux.exe chmod +x

Guest culinist

Ubuntu breezy is comin out in stable form in a few weeks. I'm runnin the preview release right now and it is one sweet piece of Linux.

I recommend it to anyone looking to learn Linux. It's based on Debian so it's got a huge package base and it's stable as hale.