DIY Street Linux Thread.

Guest culinist_merged

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I'm on gentoo too, i bought a bad memory for my DFI NF4 UT SLI-DR (corsair value 2x512 CAS3 :s) . So when i 'm using dual channel, compiling crash : segfault. So I'm looking for a safe memory which will permit me to use my linux without problems.

Thanks

Flav

Hi,

I'm on gentoo too, i bought a bad memory for my DFI NF4 UT SLI-DR (corsair value 2x512 CAS3 :s) . So when i 'm using dual channel, compiling crash : segfault. So I'm looking for a safe memory which will permit me to use my linux without problems.

Thanks

Flav

Actually, that might be related to a kernel bug which exists for the x86_64 in some of the slightly older 2.6 kernels. Might I suggest that you try the latest stable kernel and see if that clears up the segfault problem. I'm not quite sure as to what the gentoo way of doing that is. I am sure that 2.6.15.6 doesn't have that weird memory paging problem - it's also the kernel I'm running right now.

Hi,

Thanks

Flav

You should first use memtest86+, and then Super Pi32M and then mprime to test your memory.

If you are running with bad memory you will slowly corrupt your harddrive contents.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

ok, this is kind of a conceptual question, rather than a practical one...

I have recieved an assignment, in which I have to generally discuss the methods taken by the Linux OS, to resolves deadlocks in a multi-user environment....

I just need a brief article on this topic....

if anyone can help me out, I will be very grateful...

thanx in advance

also, i dont want to rewrite a kernel....i have to write a paper on the schemes linux uses in general, to handle deadlocks in a multi user environment...

I have recieved an assignment, in which I have to generally discuss the methods taken by the Linux OS, to resolves deadlocks in a multi-user environment....

Uh, that sounds a little off.

There is nothing in particular dealing with "deadlocks in a multi-user environment".

Unix kernels are either multithreaded with the normal thread synchronization primitives or they are interrupt-driven with an elevator scheme, using pretty much the same synchroniztion primitives.

Whether there's different users sitting on the different userland processes entering the kernel has nothing to do with synchronization management.

OK, fortunately, I have found a significant amount of data...when I google for 'Distributed Deadlocks'....this is good for me in the way that 'Distributed' I think means 'multi-user' in my question .... :D

the only problem is, in all the data i have gathered so far regarding distributed deadlocks, nothing mentions any particular OS that uses the methods described...

so, does linux have any distributed deadlock handling schemes ?

Sorry, distributed deadlocks are not a SMP or single processor machine OS kernel level concept at all.

As the name says, they deal with deadlocks between machines, and unless you have a very sophisticated cluster OS that is done in userlevel, not in the kernel.

Guest Neezer

I have a "little" experience with linux, but would like to get better. I have a 40GB drive that I want to put a 20GB partition for linux and one for vista. what do I need to do to get started with linux?

Fedora Core 5 x86_64 - 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5 runs fine here ;)

@Neezer

nothing just pick up a distro cd and install it.

play a bit with it and you will find many howtos in the net which will help you. I would recommend Fedora.

Partition the drive and grab a copy of linux whatever you choose.....I am using Suse10.1 right now but I have used quite a few. Just burn the DVD and install grub will set up. You can choose the basic package but I would look through the package choices during the install and load what might be interesting to you.....There is alot to choose from....:) If you are unsure of what you want to run burn a few live cd's and run them to see what you like....Try here....