Air Overclock

buddmeister

Id like to say thanx to everyone on this forum that has provided me with the information to accomplish my first half decent overclock.

I know it aint amazing but for me im happy, thanx for all the guides that i have followed every step and read and read and read untill my eyes have hurt. :sad:

If anyone else has a similar rig could you post your overclocks so i can compare mine.

Thanx again, and a note for all you that ask stupid questions, SEARCH & READ first!!!!

Soz about it being in the wrong section!

Erm temps are

CPU=32&52

PWMIC=31&45

NF4 CHIPSET=29&33

my Vcore is currently at 1.625 but it failed prime last night! bumping upto 1.65 tonight to make sure prime stable!!!! As mine is only a Newcastle would i be right to say the max me voltage can go is 1.750 MAX! as when i set a voltage when its at full load the MBM goes up by .25 or so is this normal! if so what is the actual voltage!

I dont want a higher clock even if i can as i dont like me temps going into 50 on full load! I nearly cremated my old Athlon 3200+ as it ran VHOT!

Thanx again for all the guides and help! i even removed me 9800 heatsink and changed it for a artic cooler!That was fun!

buddmeister,

with those temps and that high of a vcore i would have to say that you need a high end air cooler, like the zalman 9500 or the big typhoon. running 50C+ is really bad for the core and running anything over a .25~.30 overvolt is scary even with top end air if your temps go over 50C. what you're doing right now with your stock cooler isn't the best either.

i suggest top end air or water for your voltages and temps. plus with water you may end up at 2.6GHz. normally from an average cooler to water cooling you can expect anywhere from 100~200mhz oncrease in frequency.

Check the OC database for comparisons...

these nothing in the OC data base to compare to?highest i see was 338x8

buddmeister,

with those temps and that high of a vcore i would have to say that you need a high end air cooler, like the zalman 9500 or the big typhoon. running 50C+ is really bad for the core and running anything over a .25~.30 overvolt is scary even with top end air if your temps go over 50C. what you're doing right now with your stock cooler isn't the best either.

i suggest top end air or water for your voltages and temps. plus with water you may end up at 2.6GHz. normally from an average cooler to water cooling you can expect anywhere from 100~200mhz oncrease in frequency.

Im running 1.78 On Stock out of box cooler. but i dont recommend it and im only doing it by force

After reading a link from this forum that sent me to a topic on another forum about voltage, frequency and heat im gonna re-think my overclocking!

When i get back from work i will lower my voltage to a level i feel comfortable with. I think i might go down to 1.575 or 1.50 as i don't wanna risk losing the processor. If i have to loose a few Mhz i dont care as long as i can prolong the life of my chip.

Thanks for recommending the voltage decrease!

:sad:

buddmeister,

Scared the pore guy off. there wasent nothing wrong with his vcore :rolleyes:And by the way im running 1.76vcore on a stock out of the box cooler for 8 months now and not one problem

Scared the pore guy off. there wasent nothing wrong with his vcore :rolleyes:And by the way im running 1.76vcore on a stock out of the box cooler for 8 months now and not one problem

Just because your cpu is still going dont go around saying its fine to pump 1.75+ volts into a a64 cpu.. 99.9 % of the users on this forum and plently of other forums would say that is WAY high .. If you want to do it then go for it.. But its far from a 'safe' voltage to use..

Im making this clear because I'd hate to see a someone new to clocking decide because msmolt is using this much voltage it must be ok and then fry their cpu..

Im not exactly scared off but.... i also dont wanna ruin somett just for 30 benchmark points!

I have lowered it down to 1.575 now and running at 2440. Would you say the vcore is ok with this?

temps are

CPU=30-50

PWMIC=29-45

NF4 CHIPSET=29-31

I passed prime with 12 hours last weekend with these settings! which is why i have reverted back to them! As soon as 100% load is off the CPU the temps shoot back down to idle temps! I am altering my case soon neway as there isnt very good airflow.

Thanks for the help! As soon as i have my heatsinks for my 9800 I will post my OC Benchmarks!

*modified sig