problem installing xp with correct HAL

Since I got my DFI mobo about a year ago, I've been having random lockups and internet dropouts. From what I've read on this forum, it seems that reinstalling XP with the correct HAL (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC) would fix this problem.

When installing Windows XP Home Edition I pressed F5 to select the correct HAL and F6 to install my SATA drivers. The installation went through without a problem. After installing windows with the correct HAL I loaded the Default Optimized Settings in the BIOS. (I am not sure what version BIOS I have as I am on a different computer at the moment.)

However, my computer does not get past the XP boot screen anymore and keeps rebooting. My knowledge of computer hardware is rather basic, so I maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem.

Thank you.

Hi Squallx404, welcome to the Street. When you installed Windows did you have APIC disabled in the bios? Because if you did and then loaded optimized defaults APIC would then be enabled and that would stop Windows from loading. If that is what's happend, then just go into the bios and disable APIC.

Thanks for the quick response! I've tried disabling APIC after reinstalling windows and that did not seem to help. Should I try to reinstall with APIC disabled to begin with? I will post the RAM specs ASAP. (Its 2x512mb DDR PC3200 but I am not certain of the brand, Corsair perhaps)

Welcome. Best advice I think is to install w/ the apic on.(What Kitfit was sayin' if you installed XP w/apic off then loaded "optimised" Which turns' it on. That that could be the trouble.Running w/apic off can cause all of that too.You also don't want to install the nvidia "IDE" drivers either.(That might help w/the lan) I've had lotsa' seemingly random freezes caused by heat. Graphic's heat, processor heat,Even had a hard-drive that would overheat and freeze the computer. Lan dropouts I dunno much about those. It would be really nice if you could follow the "King of nothing's" advice and let us know exactly which memory sticks you have there cause it really could be a timing too. You may wish to run memtest86 or S&M to check you memorys health.(Tmods bootible CD has memtest86 on it. But please don't go flashin' any bios's til' you've read Loggan26"s faq on that matter. Good-luck "Clay"