Video artefacts (photos inside)

I've heard that they require at least 500 watts, but you may be right. If your peak is above 500, that's probably what they were getting at since most PSU's are rated by peak.Do RMA the video, I'm thinking it's heat related, since it worked in your buddies board (switching from board to board was time enough for it to cool down), moving it back over it worked for a while (until it heated all up and such), etc, etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, they tested the board at my local store, It crashed right away, they gave me a new one, it works, no problem. I am kind of releaved (for now :D).

Ok, just found out he did that test on tomshardware. Great read.

Am I really below what's necessary ? I used this calculator from extreme.outervision and added as much as I can ... I overclocked my 3700+ @ 3000Mhz, I added HD I don't own and much more but couldn't get over 400W.

My 480W is rated 460W max (sum of all rails) and 530W at peak. Do the DFI Lanparty boards drain so much power I'd need to get a more powerful PSU ?

Thank you very much.

Good to hear everything is working fine for you man. There are plenty of people running this board with less than 480W. You just won't find them here because its blasphemy to not suggest replacing the PSU, change your mem timings, reset the CMOS for a day and a half or read both build guides as solutions to a build problem.

Good job, Gui. :nod: Sounds like you got it sorted.

I think you're gonna be fine with the Hiper R. The quality and stability of the new PSU is probably 10x better than your old one. If it acts up again, you know what to do now, but I doubt it will unless you get into some heavy OC, and even then you'll probably be fine. You should have a solid rig. Now, go play with it and have some fun, isn't that why you bought it! :)

Hey guys,

I'm have the same problem as GuiGui.

I build a system:

ASUS A8N5X Motherboard (939 Socket)

GeFroce 6800 GS VideCard

AMD 64 3200+ processor

500W power supply 20+4 pin (so it can fit 20-pin motherboards and also has an extra 4-pin for 24 motherboards, sort of like an extension)

Two 1GB Corsair Ram

I downloaded the latest BIOS for the Motherboard...problem still exists.

Problem started showing up about 1 week after I put the system together.

These are the voltages I can read from a software provided by the motherboard:

Vcore: 1.39v

+3.3: 3.39v

+5.0: 5.05v

+12.0: 11.97v

Temperatures:

CPU: 36 degrees

MB: 34 degrees

Problem: Computer boot up sequence is Motherboard logo shows up, black screen with scrolling white text shows up (I assume thats system check) {i have enabled quick boot}, then windows logo shows up.. and system starts.

1 week after putting together..Right after pressing power button, in the motherboard logo phase I get artifacts (looks exactly like GuiGui's photos at the begining of the thread), then the black screen also looks garbled, then the windows screen also looks garbled, after the windows screen windows does NOT load but I get a completely black screen where the system hangs.

Note: Just like GuiGui if I can get the comp to run without artifacts..then I can reboot, restart, no problem. BUT, if I shut it down...then I get the artifacts. If I turn off, and pull the power cable of the outlet and let it sit for a while then I turn it back on I don't get the screen.

Is it power supply issue, video card issue, motherboad issue, or ram issue??? After reading the thread the number of possible sources of problem only increased.

Note: I have the same video card and ram type as GuiGui.

I guess the hard part is figuring out which part is causing the problem...but I suspect its the video card because when I tried to play Diablo 2, which runs a video test and suggest you which "available video modes" to use (its options are DirectDraw (2D): Nivida GeForce 6800 Gs or Direct3D: Nivida GeFroce 6800S) and the Video Test recommends using Direct 3D. But when I use that mode and run the game I get a blank screen that hangs up. But if I use DirectDraw, NOT the mode it recomends, then I can get the game to run.

Not Overclocked.

Further info:

Another problem (even if artifacting is not occuring) is that sometimes in the second screen of the bootup (the black screen with scrolling white text) the system hangs and when it is listing the devices it hangs at a place where the white text says "Listing PCI devices..." PCI device: video card? Further info that leads me to believe its the video card. Is the system not recognizing the video card properly?

THIS PROBLEM SHOWED UP THE VERY FIRST TIME I RAN THE BUILD SYSTEM...but I changed the BIOS and it seemed to be fixed. But then once in a while it shows up again...which causes the motherboard to say the same thing that GuiGui last picture says which sQuip porperly noted:

@GuiGui:

2) I can't tell for sure, but did I see a "CMOS checksum error" message in one of your screenies? EDIT: Did it say "defaults loaded" after the message?

Yes! Exactly what squid says is what happened to me before the artifacting (garbled) screen problem even showed up. But it happened infrequently so I ingonred it. Assumed somthing minor. This "CMOS checksum error" - "default loaded" happenend to me in the very first or maybe second boot, before the garbeled screen stuff. But I just assumed it was a motherboard failsafe device to protect itself. But then it started occuring without cause. After the system had been running fine.

That is why I believe the problems are related.

Please help me in solving this problem.

I need to be sure about which part has the problem...I don't want to guess becuase I don't want to ship all my parts back and forth to Newegg.com like an idiot =)

Thank you in advance,

Henry.

----------------------------------------------------------

ASUS A8N5X Motherboard (939 Socket)

GeFroce 6800 GS VideCard

AMD 64 3200+ processor

500W power supply 20+4 pin (so it can fit 20-pin motherboards and also has an extra 4-pin for 24 motherboards, sort of like an extension)

Two 1GB Corsair Ram

Reading about your troubles with diablo II and the fact you sometime get artifacts during the boot sequence, I`d suspect a video card issue [like I had]. Just to be sure, you might first test it in another computer if you can.

I don`t know what the RMA policies are [does this make sense ?] where you live but I brought mine back to the store and they gave me a new one right after seeing the artifacts.

Hope it helps.