New raptors, can't find them in WinXP install! Help!!!

Hey guys,

I just upgraded from my old 36gb raptors in Raid0 to 74gb raptors and WinXP cannot find them during install. I am using the Silicon SATA ports which are the exact same I used for my 36gb raptors however with the new set they will be recognized in the SATA bios and I can create the RAID set just fine (I have done this twice, I have also done a low level security format on both drives), during XP setup I do the F6 and find the drivers I am using (Non-Raid5, I have used both older and newer drivers) and when I proceed it finds it but it has a message, cannot install on this device. When I press enter I get the BSOD and have to reboot. I have tried deleting and readding the raid set, newer and older drivers etc but with the same results. It is driving me crazy, I don't see how it would be any different than the old raptors I was using but apparently it is. Also weirdly when this happens I power off the computer and power it back on it will hang and not display anything. no warning beeps or anything. I have to switch the psu off for 10 seconds then back on and power it up and it will go to BIOS and POST and go on to xp install.

I am using Tony's DFI Nf4 704-2bta bios which has worked great before. PLEASE HELP ME!!! :confused:

System Specs:

DFI SLI-DR

AMD64 4400x2 @ 2.75ghz

OCZ VX Gold @ PC4000 2-2-2-5

2x74gb WD Raptors in Raid0

BFG 7800gtx256 (1)

Antec TruPower 550w

Waterchilled (CPU, chipset, gpu, gpu mem, gpu vreg cooled)

In summary, the computer detects the new Raptors in the BIOS and you can can set up RAID. However, windows XP does not see them when you do an install and load the raid drivers using F6.

Maybe there is a HD Utility that will scan the new hard drives for problems. Can anyone suggest anything?

Have you tried installing XP on a single drive to see if it works? If it installs on each of the drives, you can run a full scan in XP.

Also you can reconnect your 36GB Raptors along with the new raptors. Boot off the 36GB and see if XP detects the new drives.

Are the Raptors the only hard drives connected to your motherboard when you are trying the Window OS install?

Not that it matters to me much, but why the SIL and not Nvidia SATA ports?

Oh yeah definately try them on the Nvidia ports.

they are the only drives connected, I use the SIL because I am using a lian li case and the sata cables don't reach far enough to go into the nvidia ports, I guess I could just find some longer cables and try that. I will try installing it w/o raid and just 1 drive

Yeah, the SilImage chip doesn't like being booted off of. I believe there are some ipdated drivers on the official DFI website that you could try, though I have heard nothing about them actually working/helping anything.

Ok. I realized after looking at my board again that the nvidia ports are actually closer, oops :). I went ahead and switched them to the nvraid and did a Raid0 and it worked like a charm. It's surprising because originally when I got the board nvraid was the one that didn't like to be setup in winxp not the silicon, but now with the new 74gb raptors it's the opposite. I just disabled the sil chip altogether in the bios since I am not using it anyway.

I also have had a noticeable performance boost and I wonder if it is the newer raptors or the nvraid or a combination of both. Either way though I am happy! Thanks everyone for the help, I will see how this bench's compared to my old drives.