why do we overclock...to get more "fps", right?...so how man

T Rush

As soon as my frame rate drops below about 80 (On CS Source, as it tells you) I start to notice it getting a little jerky. Generally I run Counterstrike at around 120fps with all settings set to max except I use anitialising 4x and anistropic 8x.

Szurlo; you should o/c your system even if you just up the fsb and don't change the voltage. I have run mine at 2.35ghz stable at stock voltage so it doesn't matter if you're gun shy, that's still another 350mhz you're cranking out at (almost) no risk at all. Take advantage of your DFI board!!!

Yeah, even as we speak I'm on Newegg looking for a new HSF for my CPU ;)

I thought about this matter in a little more, and it depends on your monitor how many is worth having:

e.g, me; my monitor is 12ms, therefore has a refresh rate of 1000/12 = 83Hz, ie, 83fps is the max it will do, anything above that is just for showing off for the sake of it.

However, if you had like a 2ms monitor, then you would have a refresh rate of 500Hz, ie, 500fps is the maximum you can get.

For most people I hope you have better than 12ms, but for me this was the best value 19" monitor I could get.

I play WOW and I am just fine with 60. I read a post awhile back aobut how for online game 60FPS was about all the higher you will ever see. I don't remember the specifcs, nor do I know if that is true. I have seen 61 on my rig while playing WOW, but never higher. It stays constant at 60 and that keeps me happy.

Of course I do not have a 7800 so who knows if this is true or not. Just thought I would add some fuel to the fire. 8)

I think the main reason you can tell the difference at even 80fps is that it isn't always 80 fps. From the game itself requiring more computing power as an explosion occurs to some random program backgrounded can easily drop framerates down to the 30s and lower for a split second, which could easily be noticeable.

T Rush made a very good point about average and low framerates, I generally make sure my low scores are above 40, if it falls below that it is generally annoyingly noticeable.

many old school gamers would play games at very low resolution so that they could use very high refresh rates on their CRTs and have higher frame rates in games...they found the 'eye candy' as more of a distraction...and wanted as much information displayed on the screen as possible...now most of the games are about how cool they can look...

People today want the best image quality possible because it increases the illusion of game immersion. In the “old school” days, even games running at their best didn’t have a high immersion factor so the difference was negligible.

You are makeing some incorrect assumptions:

1 frame rate is constant

2 your eye can perceve only 24 FPS

3 there is no benifit to more

Smoken Joe is correct

1. constant framerate is only achieved by locking framerates like console gaming systems do, and even then if the action is too great, it will drop below the 30fps or 60fps the game is locked at

in the real world, framerates are never constant even when staring at a wall in a game

2. the limit of the human eye is 72fps give or take, not 24fps

24fps is what hollywood movies use, but they use effects to make it seem like a faster clip (like motion blurring etc)

72fps is the scientific standard (google for it) that most agree is the limit of the human eye

some Air Force research claims 150fps or more is more accurate but they have not proven this as well as normal science community has.

3. there is no benefit to more than 72fps honestly

but this is where it gets a bit muddy

72fps might drop all the way to 15fps during intense firefights with lots of gfx effects like smoke, shadows, lighting, etc

so if you started with 200fps, it might only drop to 72fps during the most intense, heavy scenes

this is the real reason why we strive for the highest framerates possible...because fps is never constant, and during the heaviest scenes, fps can drop to eye-hurting levels lol