My TCCD cant run @ CAS 2.5 in Expert

cs02jhf

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cs02jhf:

I am inclined to agree with icon57, except for the 2.9 volts part. Some Tccd (depending on the batch) will throw errors with higher voltages...some like 2.9+. Being unfamiliar with the "expert" version of this board, I can't comment on the BIOS. There should be some info in the forum on which on is best with your memory.

I am running the same memory with a 148 Opteron on a SLI-DR (not the expert version) and don't know all the differences between the two DFI boards.

However, you might want to change your timings. They look pretty tight for "LE" at 260. My memory will run to 312 (stable) at 2.8v although timings are significantly looser.

If you can run 300htt at 3-4-4-8, I don't think there is anything wrong with your memory. I don't believe that "LE" was intended to be a low latency memory even though it is advertised as 2-2-2-5 at DDR400, 2.5-4-3-7 at DDR550.

Try the following a64 settings (v6.0 beta):

2.5,10,14,4,2,8,3,3,2,2,[email protected],1clk Dqs skew off

16x,128,Dis,Dis,7x,8ns,5.0ns,16 or 32clks,enable,200,enable,weak,disable

memclk (all enable)

These work for me, all the way to 305. You should be able to easily run cas 2.5 @ 260, 2.7v. If it boots, change the 8 to a 7. This is within the specification for the "LE".

If you are after very low latencies, you will probably need another flavor.

It also may be the case that you have found the limitation of the memory controller on your 3700. I had a similar problem with a 3500 that would not run over 2.65 no matter what...just a brick wall. After replacing the processor, using the same memory, same board, same everything....bingo 3Ghz.

No offense but thats not that [email protected] i can do DDR620 with still only 2.7V's :) :nod:

none taken :)

i was just letting him know he might wanna try the settings i suggested, and volts and see if he could get there.

his tccd 440's are very decent ram

i also can run my tccd as listed in my sig.

Guest laydback
none taken :)

i was just letting him know he might wanna try the settings i suggested, and volts and see if he could get there.

his tccd 440's are very decent ram

i also can run my tccd as listed in my sig.

You've wasting the potential of those G-Skills.

dude, that is some good ram you have there, i have the LA ver, (ddr600)

try setting 2.5.4.4.7 give em 2.9 volts and run em at 2T, also the new bios might help ya out. :nod:

I never tried 2.9V or above and 2T. HM.. it might worth to give a try on that

cs02jhf:

I am inclined to agree with icon57, except for the 2.9 volts part. Some Tccd (depending on the batch) will throw errors with higher voltages...some like 2.9+. Being unfamiliar with the "expert" version of this board, I can't comment on the BIOS. There should be some info in the forum on which on is best with your memory.

I am running the same memory with a 148 Opteron on a SLI-DR (not the expert version) and don't know all the differences between the two DFI boards.

However, you might want to change your timings. They look pretty tight for "LE" at 260. My memory will run to 312 (stable) at 2.8v although timings are significantly looser.

If you can run 300htt at 3-4-4-8, I don't think there is anything wrong with your memory. I don't believe that "LE" was intended to be a low latency memory even though it is advertised as 2-2-2-5 at DDR400, 2.5-4-3-7 at DDR550.

Try the following a64 settings (v6.0 beta):

2.5,10,14,4,2,8,3,3,2,2,[email protected],1clk Dqs skew off

16x,128,Dis,Dis,7x,8ns,5.0ns,16 or 32clks,enable,200,enable,weak,disable

memclk (all enable)

These work for me, all the way to 305. You should be able to easily run cas 2.5 @ 260, 2.7v. If it boots, change the 8 to a 7. This is within the specification for the "LE".

If you are after very low latencies, you will probably need another flavor.

It also may be the case that you have found the limitation of the memory controller on your 3700. I had a similar problem with a 3500 that would not run over 2.65 no matter what...just a brick wall. After replacing the processor, using the same memory, same board, same everything....bingo 3Ghz.

Thank you very much. I just tried the setting which u gave. but it still doent work for me. damn....

Im still conviced the Expert MB hates my TCCD chips.

Ive got em solid at 2.5-3-3-6 300mhz T1 but they keep crashing. They are fine on my Other MB.

Also im going with 2GB for this reason.

What is going to be the best 2x1Gb sticks. Ive read the Gskill are good.

Thank you very much. I just tried the setting which u gave. but it still doent work for me. damn....

Sorry those didn't work for you.

You haven't posted your voltages. If I knew a little more about your settings I might be able to help. The images in your initial post indicates a discrepancy in the tref value (one is 3.9 and one is 15.6). What HTT and multi were you running when you saved the A64 image in your first post 237x11?

After you boot your machine and it is running....you change the settings using A64 and clockgen to the settings I sent, what happens? Lock-up? Blue screen? what exactly happens?

If you want to run Cas 2.5 at 250 or above with "LE", you will almost certainly have to run Tras at 7 or 8. I know 5 generally will not work, 6 may but very probably will not be stable unless all the other settings are just right. 6 becomes unstable in the 265-270 range on my sticks.

Give the following a try & see if you can bench at 254 or some other HTT value in the mid 250's.

Select 2.7v or 2.8v Vdimm in Bios (without any +v option). You haven't specified your processor voltage in the posts but I assume it has been increased to a level you are comfortable with (personally I am running 1.48v, 1.35x110% on my opteron with an xp-90c as 24/7 setting)...see more on voltage below.

Get it running. If you are at 11x, change the mulit to 10 with clockgen, then use A64 to change the settings. Increment the HTT with clockgen and run some tests...whatever you like.

In A64, try the same settings as sent previously except adjust Trrd to 3, make sure async latency is 8.0 ns and read preamble is 5.0 ns. Turn off any "skew". You might also want to try changing tref to [email protected] or other values during testing (my old 3500 liked [email protected] when running 262 HTT) but use [email protected] first.

If that works, go up until it doesn't.

The big kicker for not booting may be the CPU "start up" voltage in your BIOS. Set to at least 1.45 before trying to get your machine to boot at the settings derived from your quick testing. Personally I don't think 1.5 is to high for "start up" on a 90nm core but that's just my opinion. It only runs that voltage for a few seconds until it reverts to the "operational" voltage. Which I am assuming you have changed to 1.35vX110% or something close that you are comfortable with.

This is a shot in the dark....as I mentioned, I am not familiar with the "expert" version of this board (only the SLI-DR version) but I am still of the opinion that your memory is okay. Your "expert" board and the Gskill "LE" combination may just need a specific setting to be something that you don't expect (or that may not necessarily make sense). For example, there are some people that use a zero value in the timings when running BH-5.

Additionally, you should be aware that if you are at the limit of your memory controller, the HTT and multi won't always interchange to produce the same end value i.e. 250x11 and 275x10....one may work and the other may not even when your memory is capable of both.

Hope this helps.

Got the answer.

I tested the memory modules separately in bank 2. one module can do 275HTT and finsih super PI 32M with 2.71V. another can not run 250HTT or above. That means it cant run CAS2.5 no matter what voltage. so it must be damaged.