Beep and no boot, 3 leds lit

Problem: the motherboard power up but doesn't detect memory. I get long beep and 3 red leds lit.

Full detailed story:

I have been running the system on my signature for several months without any problems.

However, one of these days the computer had a few problems like BSODs and the chipset / PWM temperatures were a bit higher than usual. Usually PWM stays around 37ºC and Chipset @45, but in the last few days they were like PWM 42ºC and Chipset 55ºC.

I've checked the regular stuff, like the cooling, the chipset fan was ok, running at full speed. Case cooling was fine. These days were a little hot, so I don't know exaclty if the motherboard was overheating or it was an ambient temperature related issue.

I wanted to put the VGA in the second PCIe slot, the PCIe #4, but the bandwith was limited to x2. So I tried the jumpers in the SLI mode, but the system wouldn't boot. So I read that I should update the BIOS, because I was still using the 3-10 version. I updated to 623-3 and the old settings in BIOS weren't stable like in 3-10, so I decided to leave the system in stock settings, to overclock next day.

Next day, I didn't turn on my PC, I decided to give some maintenance, change the VGA to the PCIe #4 slot, now with the new BIOS it would boot. So I clean the case, motherboard, replace thermal compound, etc. It wasn't too dirty, I always clean from time to time, everyting was looking fine.

I did maintenance with caution, like always, the same way I always do, and then when I was going to put my system back on, I noticed something strange:

The DRAM LED was not going lit when the PSU was turned ON. And also, the motherboard was not powering up by no means.

So I was very frustraded, I thought I could have damaged the motherboard, but how? I turned everything off. Removed every piece of hardware, and tried to turn on the motherboard itself, without memory, CPU or video card, it just didnt power up.

I turned everything off, and went to test the PSU in other 2 motherboards, and the PSU was fine... I tested the CPU and memory, everything working fine.

Then I got another PSU, a TTGI TT-450-SS, like name suggests it's a 450 Watt PSU, and the computer didn't turn on.

I left it alone, for the next day...

The day after, I got the TTGI again with the DFI NF4 Ultra-D, and for my surprise the DRAM LED was lit, and the motherboard DID POWER UP. Then I tried back the Enermax again, and the motherboard did not power up. I tried the TTGI back again, and it did not power up. "Damm" I thought!

I gave it some rest, but back the TTGI again, and the motherboard was powering up again, back alive "from the dead".

So I placed the VGA, 1 memory stick and CPU+Cooler of course. However, when the system powers up, it shows 3 red LEDs lit, and a long beep, it doesnt detect memory. I tried other 4 memory sticks, and it gives me the same problem.

I tried placing the memory in different DIMM slots, removing the battery, clearing CMOS, safe boot jumper, holding INSERT key while booting, nothing works. It doesnt boot. The motherboard "says": no memory detected.

I need help, any suggestions? Or the motherboard does really have a problem...

Coincidence this happened after I updated the BIOS...

However, if the BIOS was corrupt, I think it wouldn't beep

Anyone can help? Please?

I think the motherboard is defective, the strange symptoms like overheating, BSODs, and this strange behaviour with 2 PSUs that are ok... hmm...

PS.: my overclocking wasn't aggressive. I was using 9 x 270 = 2430 MHz, with 1.425V vcore... regular memory timings 2.5-3-3-7 and 2.7V. The timings from 3-10 didn't work with 623-3, so I left the system in stock settings to try overclock next day, but the next day the motherboard wasn't booting anymore...

@Krohling

You need to replace that PSU. I have one on my test bench and it does not play nice with the DFI nF4 motherboards.

When I tried it, I got the same kind of problems you're seeing. I was able to get it to boot once. ONCE!

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

See here...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13

then here...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

I don't think the PSU is the problem, the system was running fine for 9 months with that PSU. Besides that, I have replaced the Enermax with other 2 different PSUs and it doesnt make a difference.

Any ideas?

I can't get the board to boot, so, can't get in BIOS...

I flashed in the normal procedure. The board did boot after the flash, worked fine at stock settings. I just turn off the computer and let to do further texting with the new bios next day.

I did like the first build steps, the problem either is the motherboard or the PSU...

I dont have other PSUs to test, I have tested 3 so far, with no success. So odds are pointing toward the motherboard is the culprit.

The only way to make sure it's not the PSU is to test with a known good PSU that meets the minimum recommendation.

I don't think the PSU is the problem, the system was running fine for 9 months with that PSU. Besides that, I have replaced the Enermax with other 2 different PSUs and it doesnt make a difference.

Any ideas?

I can't get the board to boot, so, can't get in BIOS...

I flashed in the normal procedure. The board did boot after the flash, worked fine at stock settings. I just turn off the computer and let to do further texting with the new bios next day.

I did like the first build steps, the problem either is the motherboard or the PSU...

I dont have other PSUs to test, I have tested 3 so far, with no success. So odds are pointing toward the motherboard is the culprit.

The only way to make sure it's not the PSU is to test with a known good PSU that meets the minimum recommendation.

Yes I know...

I don't have another PSU avaiable to test at the moment

The 480W requirement is a bit overated. To turn on this motherboard, with 1 stick of ram, 1 CPU and a PCI card, even a 350W power supply should do the trick.

I have tested 3 power supplies:

- Enermax EG475-VE SFMA 470W

- TTGI TT-450W-SS (this one is 20 pin)

- Seventeam ST-420BKV

Same results with the DFI... Tested with other 2 motherboards, the 3 PSUs work fine. All 3 PSUs meet the minimum ampere requirements on each line (12V, 5V, 3.3V)

Does this PSU look any good? More than enough I guess:

Enermax EG565P-VE FMA 535W

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...te=pricegrabber

I have had this problem also, it seems to come and go, but what I always do is first let the system cool down (mine only happens on a reboot) and it will start fine, I cleaned everything thinking it may be a dust build up in some strange place but it still does it after I have made the inside of the case dust free.

I dont know I deal with it

I have weird, unexpected good news...

The board is working again!

I've done a little more research in the forums, and I saw people saying to leave the motherboard alone for 10 or more hours. So I left it for more than 20 hours since yesterday, and today I tried to boot it again

For my surprise, it boots! Booted at the first try, no signal of problems...

I've tested three power supplies so far, and it works now with all three, the voltages shown in BIOS and with a digital multimeter are ok

Maybe the board was eletrically charged and needed to be discharged?

Weird, but can happen?

Well, I don't have a final conclusion on this case yet, I'll set up my rig again

I've had no problems so far, only strange thing happened was my USB mouse was not being detected. I haven't got enough time to do a fresh install of Windows, so I think the problem was driver related, because I manually uninstalled the USB drivers, installed them and restarted and next I changed the jumpers USB and PS2 ports to use the +5VSB line. But seems it makes no difference, I set it back to use regular +5V and USB mouse is working too. Weird!

It think it was driver related, the USB devices were not powering up...

I was using a nForce3 250GB motherboard, so I think there was some "dirt" from the older drivers.

Right now, shown in PC Health @BIOS:

+3.3V = 3.35V

+5V = 5.05V

+12V = 12.15V

+5VSB = 5.08V

Battery = 3.11V

CPU CORE = 38ºC (I'm using a A64/Sempron 754 stock cooler)

PWM = 43ºC

Chipset = 46ºC

Computer on the test bench, not inside the case...

I'm currently testing the Enermax 470W PSU...

I'll do further testing