graphics card 7800 gt or 6800 gs extreme or....

Clunk

hi folks,

after foolishly buying a 6600 low profile card thinking it would be ok for the occasional game, i have decided to get something with more grunt. i have been looking at the xfx 6800 XXX extreme 256mb and it has 485/1100 specs. but while i was looking, i found a leadtek 7800 gt 256mb for only a few £££/$$$ dearer. the 7800 has specs of 450/1050.

the reason i decided to grab a more powerful card is that i borrowed star wars battlefront from a friend after seeing it at his house. unfortunately it runs quite badly on mine and is jerky and not really playable unless everything is turned off and the screen resolution lowered to 1024x768 or below.

there is a lower model leadtek 7800 gt that has 20 pipes instead of 24 (does this make any sense?) and would either be ok for running battlefront, or would the more expensive one be worth the extra money, or should i save the money and go for the 6800 gs xxx extreme?

damn that was fast! :)

ok thanks, sounds like common sense.

are there any makes/models of 7800 to avoid? when going for the cheaper versions, and also are there any makes/models that you/anyone would reccomend to shortlist?

thanks again. :)

forgot to add that it said ddr2 for the cheapest leadtek 7800 gt and ddr3 for the next model up. is this a deciding factor or not something to worry about?

hi stylescd,

i was reading a review earlier and it said that 2 x 6800 gs xxx in sli is almost on a par with 1 x 7800 gt. i couldnt quite get my head around that, but if its just the pipelines and vertices that are important, then what you say makes a lot of sense.

so the bottom line is get something with more pipelines and vertices. is the memory speed and quantity of the card not a big factor?

the speed and quantity of memory is A factor but like cd said the piplelines will make a bigger diff. you cant add mopre pixel pipelines, but you CAN increase the speed of the core and memory. so even getting the lowest end 7800 will be better than getting a 6800gs overclocked. cause the 7800 will overclock the same and be that much faster. as far as ddr2 vs ddr3...it will always improve performance to have faster memory.

as far as brand companys like xfx factory overclock the cards for you. save some money and go with a evga and just overclock yourself. ive read several reviews on both my card and the xfx 6800gs and they both have a max of ~515/1300. even though my card comes stock 425 whilst the xfx comes at 485. is the xfx worth more money to come "stock" overclocked...to me NO... just something to think about.

thanks for that :)

ive been looking at the evga ones and theres this one http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/produc...productid=19033 but i think this is pre overclocked so ill be paying more for that right? that one is 20 pipelines.

and then theres this one http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/produc...productid=19034 also 20 pipelines but with a slightly less overclocked speed.

so are we saying that, both these models will hit pretty much the same core/clock speeds, but really you just pay for the convenience of a factory overclock and maybe a more flashy cooler?

ive also found a 7800 gt extreme version made by xfx for overclockers uk and that is over £30 cheaper. would anyone advise to just get that and overclock it?

heres the specs

- Core clock 400MHz

- 20 Pixel Pipelines

- 1000MHz+ GDDR3 Ultra Fast Memory

- 256-Bit Memory interface

- 7 Vertex Shaders

- Memory Bandwidth - 32.0GB/sec

- Fill Rate - 8.00 billion pixels/sec

- Next-generation superscalar GPU architecture

- NVIDIA® CineFX™ 4.0 engine

- 64-bit floating point texture filtering and blending

- NVIDIA® SLI™ Ready (NVIDIA SLI-certified versions of GeForce 7800 GTX only)

- NVIDIA® Intellisample™ 4.0 technology

- NVIDIA® PureVideo™ technology

- NVIDIA® ForceWare™ Unified Driver Architecture

- NVIDIA® nView® multi-display technology

- Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 support

- OpenGL® 2.0 support

- Supplied with Full Version of Call of Duty 2 UK Game

- 1yr Warranty

the 24 pipeline models seem to be out of my price range (around £250) so would just like to get the best bang for buck out of the 20 pipeline version.