Randomly disappearing HD

Sometimes, at random interval like weeks or months before events weird thing happens:

When computer is rebooted because of upgrade/patch etc., the result is following:

- No HD detected at POST

- RAID array detection

- No boot device

- No HD seen at BIOS

So far, only fix is to turn power completely off and after a moment, back on.

After that the computer works normally... until next time the "feature" appears.

Currently HD is at first SATA connector - Changing that won't fix this.

Any ideas how to fix this elusive "feature? :confused:

This also happens to me once in a while overclocked or not. Raising the chipset voltage from 1.5v to 1.7v diminishes the occurance of these problems but doesn't completely eliminate the problem for me.

I finally cured the problem by using a additioinal PCI SATA card for all my hard drives

Switch the cable to sata port 3 or 4 and it should be normal again.

Erm... did you notice this (now underlined part)?:

Currently HD is at first SATA connector - Changing that won't fix this.

Great. Not only I have a dead on-board sound from day one, but now this random "feature" which is difficult to pinpoint. Perhaps it's time to get new MB as soon as I can arrange some loose cash and find suitable replacement. Unfortunately, previous hardware selections limit my choices... :sad:

First off let me apologize for trying to help someone of such obviuosly superior intelligence. My humblest apologies sir. Now that is out of the way may I ask why someone of such superior intelligence would not Rma a "defective" motherboard for a replacement or refund since it doesnt live up to your expectations?

First off let me apologize for trying to help someone of such obviuosly superior intelligence. My humblest apologies sir. Now that is out of the way may I ask why someone of such superior intelligence would not Rma a "defective" motherboard for a replacement or refund since it doesnt live up to your expectations?

Perhaps you were just too hasty in your first reply? And with second one? :rolleyes:

While I sometimes make blunt replies, i did not meant that. I just stated that I had already tried the solution which you gave, without success. No need to go mental, there. :P

Now the RMA part. Not possible. Various reasons leading to that. First, check my location, then we may continue to stages of purchase, etc.

Please, relax a bit. Life is not that serious. :)

Maxtor 200GB SATA with 8MB cache (6B200M0)

Have you checked out this thread?

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...Maxtor+problems

Some info pertaining to disappearing maxtors there.

Just went thru the whole thread again and it looks like my options are pretty poor.

As soon as I can afford, I'm going to vote with my wallet. TITS, I'm getting a new drive (NOT Maxtor!) and giving old one to a friend, after backing up the data on it. I can wait a bit for new drive, as no data seems to disappear/corrupt while drive misbehaves and drive works after few minutes being completely powered off. Drive also disappears rarely... but when it does, complete power down is required.

Thanks for reminding me about that thread! ;)

Have you tried to set a higher hdd detect delay in bios (try something high as 15s just to check if it's only that, and if so, work your way with lower number)?

Some drives take a little extra time to wake up from, requiring the board to be forced to wait until they are completely ready.

Have you tried to set a higher hdd detect delay in bios (try something high as 15s just to check if it's only that, and if so, work your way with lower number)?

Some drives take a little extra time to wake up from, requiring the board to be forced to wait until they are completely ready.

I thought that it would work, but as this "feature" appears so rarely (only about half dozen times per year), it was too early to think so. Unfortunately, last disappearance proved that. Still, thanks for your suggestion. :)

Because of the nature of this "feature", I can never be sure the HD will work, if comuter reboots because updates or of longer blackout. Therefore, i'm thru with Maxtor and I'm going to get other HD(s) as soon as I can afford.

OK seriously I was very tired when I posted earlier(far too many hours working). I have seen many in this forum having troubles with maxtor drives and few solutions, so best of luck with your issue and sorry I was unable to assist.

Oh, no problem! I'm only too familiar with effects of having too little sleep myself - I wish i could have patience to put messages/replies into hold, until I have second chance to review them before posting. :tooth:

I just hope I did not look like ungrateful b*stard myself, as I do have a habit of behaving badly sometimes... :angel: