Theoretically speaking...

dreiu

I was just thinking about this today...

Since I've got ddr500 ram, I am interested in running 1:1 with the processor @ 250mhz. Would I be ok to run the memory at the default settings in the bios (default settings only in the memory section of the bios), since it would not be overclocking it at all?

I know maybe the only way to find out is to try it, and that's what I inted to do... I just wanted to stir some discussion before I get to that point.

Let me know what you guys think.

That requires no effort, so what's to think. Course until you go past 250, you really won't know what the cpu or the memory can do. Heck, just leave voltages at stock and and go up 10 more, then 10 more and when it becomes unstable use the divider to find your limits.

If it ain't hot and unstable, what are you doing here, you need to go to the "Stock Speed Database". He He!

Well... I just put the system together last night, and I started prime this morning 230x10. I plan on doing this in 10mhz increments until i get it stable @ 250 x 10. I was just wondering if I should mess with the memory settings in the bios at all before I get to 250 x 10.

After that, I am definitely willing to go past 250x10... I have the cooling and hardware that should be capable of pushing further... we'll see how it goes.

I wouldn't mess with settings until I see some instability, like math error on SuperPi.

Then tweak till stable and then proceed to you have to back off.

What is your cpu cooler?

It's a Thermalright xp-90... the aluminum one. I've got a 92mm Sanyo fan pushing about 60cfm on it. Of course using some AS5.

I've been out of this game for a while... are there better stability tester programs than P95? I'm not talking about memtest (not yet at least)... but maybe something that we don't have to run for 24hours?

You won't need to do much with your memory, it runs as rated, but not much more. You will need to check with 64Tweaker to make sure the auto settings are what you want. Set the timing to 3-4-4-8. For some reason I had trouble with the X10 multiplier and ended up using X11 as in my sig. This was true even at 250X10 and 260X10; 243X11, and 245X11 were fine, all at 1:1. :confused:

You will probably need to bump up your vcore a bit, but, hopefully not as high as I had to.

You won't need to do much with your memory, it runs as rated, but not much more. You will need to check with 64Tweaker to make sure the auto settings are what you want. Set the timing to 3-4-4-8. For some reason I had trouble with the X10 multiplier and ended up using X11 as in my sig. This was true even at 250X10 and 260X10; 243X11, and 245X11 were fine, all at 1:1. :confused:

You will probably need to bump up your vcore a bit, but, hopefully not as high as I had to.

What vcore are you using at the moment??

Right now I am priming at 240x10.... i hope i won't run into any issues with the x10 multi. Were your problems just ram related maybe??

That is tricky.

In theory this is how it works: the BIOS reads the timings that the memory has been set to by the memory vendors out of the SPD. The SPD is usually for DDR400, but you can have alternate entires for different speeds, e.g. DDR266 or DDR500. The BIOS is then supposed to choose the appropriate one.

In practice this is fragile, as not all RAM vendors do this right, and not all BIOSes choose the right SPD set.

That is tricky.

In theory this is how it works: the BIOS reads the timings that the memory has been set to by the memory vendors out of the SPD. The SPD is usually for DDR400, but you can have alternate entires for different speeds, e.g. DDR266 or DDR500. The BIOS is then supposed to choose the appropriate one.

In practice this is fragile, as not all RAM vendors do this right, and not all BIOSes choose the right SPD set.

Good point my firend... however, one would think that a company such as OCZ would do a good job at this? I would think so.

I did however notice that the regular timings (I think supposed to be 8-3-3-4 ?) were automatically set to 7-3-2-3 or so, but maybe that's because I am still priming @ 240mhz? By the time I get to 250 I will set those timings manually, but I am reluctant to change any of the other memory settings.

Good point my firend... however, one would think that a company such as OCZ would do a good job at this? I would think so.

I did however notice that the regular timings (I think supposed to be 8-3-3-4 ?) were automatically set to 7-3-2-3 or so, but maybe that's because I am still priming @ 240mhz? By the time I get to 250 I will set those timings manually, but I am reluctant to change any of the other memory settings.

That is my point. Set the timmings to:

Dram freq-200

cpc-auto

Tcl-3

Trcd-4

Tras-8

Trp-4

Trc-7

Trfc-auto

Trrd-2

Twr-2

Twtr-2

Trwt-3

Tref-3120

Twcl-auto

Bank interleave-enabled

all the rest are ok

Sometimes the Trrd through Trwt need to be tweaked and this memory seems to run best at Tref-3120. I talked to Tony (BigToe) at OCZ and he was a big help. If you have any problems contact him on this forum or through OCZ. Don't expect the OCZ Golds to go much over DDR500 and that's fine, you don't need it, especially when you are using X11.

My vcore is 1.62, which is fairly high. Many are able to keep below 1.6v and that is desirable, but with no heat issues, you can go 1.6 or a bit more if you need to and still get good life expectancy from a SD.

Hope this helps.

That is my point. Set the timmings to:

Dram freq-200

cpc-auto

Tcl-3

Trcd-4

Tras-8

Trp-4

Trc-7

Trfc-auto

Trrd-2

Twr-2

Twtr-2

Trwt-3

Tref-3120

Twcl-auto

Bank interleave-enabled

all the rest are ok

Some times the Twr through Trwt need to be tweaked and this memory seems to run best at Tref-3120. I talked to Tony (BigToe) at OCZ and he was a big help. If you have any problems contact him on this forum or through OCZ.

My vcore is 1.62, which is fairly high. Many are able to keep below 1.6v and that is desirable, but with no heat issues, you can go 1.6 or a bit more if you need to and still get good life expectancy from a SD.

Hope this helps.

Great advice!

Right now, the computer is priming @ 10x240 still with the stock voltage (it did good @ 10x230 stock voltage). If all goes well, it will hopefully not fail until I stop the stress test tomorrow morning, at which point I will add the memory settings which you have mentioned. I will be testing @ 250x10... at this point I should start thinking about increasing the vcore?