Thermo Electric

If you only want to run the heatsink and not the system off the PSU, yes it would be enough... if you plan on running the system and the heatsink off that PSU, no it would not be enough.

The MCX462+T by swiftech has a 226W module so yes a 420w would run it but with only 194W to spare for system and mods.

I think it is recommended to use a separate PS if you are using thermo electric cooling, i would go with a 350W just for it ;)

The MCX462+T by swiftech has a 226W module so yes a 420w would run it but with only 194W to spare for system and mods.

I think it is recommended to use a separate PS if you are using thermo electric cooling, i would go with a 350W just for it ;)

Thats sort of true..

yes if you do the math.. thats how it all lays out.. you only have 194w for the system.. but.. the way a pelt works.. you will prolly have less then that.. Normal PSUs no matter what wattage most of the time will NOT give off enough juice to power a pelt to its full potiental.. depending on what brand of PSU you buy anyways.. I do know the true powers by Antec if you get a 400+ they will do just fine.. because the rails are just awesome on them..

you need 24amps about 15volts to run a 226watt pelt.. most PSUs will not keep a steady 24amps running though the pelt.. thus the pelt wont run at full potiental.. and.. as you know.. you dont get 15 volts out of a molex running a yellow line and a ground.. max their is 12.. so then you have to do a little screwing with the wires to get the right voltage...

what you want to do is look for a power supplie by TE Tech: Model: PS-24-12.5 will do the trick for you very nicely...

To add on to what Psywar said and try to explain in a more newbish terms for all of them out there...

Each voltage line (called a rail) has a voltage and amp rating. Multiple them to know the max. watts that line can put out. For example, on my POS CompUSA generic power supply, the 12V rail gets 19A. Multipled, that is 228 watts. That's MAX output. It probably will not sustain that amount for long. If the TEC module runs on the 12V line like I think it does, I only get 2 watts to spare, and it's even less then that because i only get 228 MAX output, like I said, it wont sustain that.

Where's the extra room for system components to run on the 12V line? There is none.

Now, if the TEC runs on the 12V and 5V lines, it has 438 watts in my case. (I use a 500watt Powersupply cuz generics and cheap so I went big) So, at 226 for the pelt, i only get 212 watts PEAK MAX OUTPUT for the system. That's not enough.

See where I'm going with this guys? Powering a TEC and a computer on the same PSU isn't a good idea!

(crap, this is a long post)

However, if you're using something like the Antec TruePower 550 that Psywar has...you can power a lot more. It has a 12V / 24A line. Thats 288 watts PEAK. It'll have no problem sustaining a high wattage for the TEC module. However, it won't easily power anything else in your case. So even a big huge 550 watt PSU isn't enough! USE TWO PSUs WITH TECs!

:withstupid: but it also depends on what kinda setup.. if your getting dangerden parts.. most defininitly.. but if ur buying a cruddie kit.. it may not be worth it..

just make sure ur getting a good pump.. a good radiator.. make sure u put the radator somewhere were you can push air though it very well.. to the outside of the case..

if you can get a nice 226watt pelt.. and one of them dope PSUs by TE Tech.. for 170... and you had the cash to spend on die electric grease.. neoprene.. n stuff.. I would definitly give Pelt cooling a shot.. you temps will be tons lower..