BIOS CPU speed is not accurate

hi all,

this was my first build(in my signature) and it went together very easily besides two nagging problems. any help with them would be much appreciated

first-my memory is not read as dual channel. it's in slots 1&3 but CPU-Z tells me it's single channel. the memory is advertised as being dual channel, so that's not the problem.

second- the cpu speed in BIOS is not the same as the cpu speed detected by CPU-Z, 3Dmark05, or hardware profile, among others. i specified the multiplier, FSB, voltage, and turned off cool&quiet. the BIOS displays my desired CPU speed but apparently does not change the actual speed. CPU-Z also shows the clock speed flunctuating between 1809.1 and 1809.4, which was odd. i have tried clearing CMOS, bumping up the voltage and a bunch of different FSB values, but no change. the 6/13/05 bios supposedly has support for the E3 venices so that shouldn't be the problem.

thanks in advance for any help

well, it turns out i had the ram in the wrong slots. i assumed dual channel meant both sticks on different channels when i built it, whoops.

i still haven't made any progress on the cpu issue. right now BIOS says the processor is running at 1800.0ghz and CPU-Z says it's running at 1809.1ghz. help :confused:

well, it turns out i had the ram in the wrong slots. i assumed dual channel meant both sticks on different channels when i built it, whoops.

i still haven't made any progress on the cpu issue. right now BIOS says the processor is running at 1800.0ghz and CPU-Z says it's running at 1809.1ghz. help :confused:

There is nothing wrong with that..... all that means is the ram is running at 200.9 instead of 200.....That is just the way it is with some cpu ram combos.

Well you assumed right! Dual channel is RAM in different channels! The top two ones are channel one and the two beneath them are channel two!!! If you grab the motherboards manual it will tell you the same! :shake:

There is nothing wrong with that..... all that means is the ram is running at 200.9 instead of 200.....That is just the way it is with some cpu ram combos.

that's not really my problem. my problem is that the bios FSB and multiplier adjustments don't actually change anything. i can put the CPU speed in BIOS past 2800mhz or whatever value i feel like but the processor remains at 1800mhz.

@Poonzorerer

The CPU speed is the FSB times the multiplier divided by the divider.

200FSB times the multiplier of 9 equals 1800MHz. If you throw a divider in their the CPU speed will be slower.

Maybe you should post some BIOS images to show us what you are doing.

Mutliplier is only unlocked down.

It's normal that the FSB fluctates by about 0,2mhz. That can make a difference of 2-3CPU mhz.