Stuck on install [newb]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatly, Im new at all this; But I am capible, with good instructions.

Here is where I am at.

Every NF4 that I have tried has put it into a loop where it just restarts after it shows the startup screen [the screen where it tells you what version of bios you have.].

I have my 2 Segates plugged into SATA1 & SATA2 [which are the nvidia4 slots i think]. I have my dvd/cdrom plugged in a working. I can escape to bios which even after all the flashes it still shows Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6.00PG [dont know if its supposed to change]. I have a disk for my raid but i cant seem to get my 8-1 floppy to work to install it. So im stuck i think. I could run it fine before I started all the flashes.

Any suggestions? Do I need to install the SATA RAID Driver Disk nVIDIA nF4 Silicon Image 3114 Rev.1.0 before I install windows. if NOT then what do I do when I get to windows setup and it ask about my partition and gives me a choice between the 2 SATA 250g. do I partition one or both or what?

1) boot from windows xp cd

2) do quick install onto ONE HD, and format that one...

3) comp will reboot, then wait,

4) windows xp will come back up and install...

It shows 2 hard drives so do I select the First one then should I PARTITION some of that for my install?

thank you all for your patience with this Noob

I know these are basic but have you checked that floppy and floppy seek are enabled, also set cpu and memory volts manually to try and stop the boot loop.

I need everything basic unfortunatly.

I didnt check those, will do this time, but realized I didnt need the floppy anyways!

Now I am just trying to get it back to normal to start all over again. I will be on the forums every few minutes to check for post and update my status.

I am now attempting to clear the bios.

When that gets through, how do I set the cpu and memory volts manually, I mean where do I find the correct settings for my amd and ram?

john

thanks for your help

Dude first of all "Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6.00PG" is not your BIOS version. DFI BIOS's don't go by revisions but by release dates! When you boot up look in the left bottom corner! There you will see the date of your BIOS. Which BIOS are you running? Than we go from there! :nod:

thanks,

03/10/2005-NF-CK804-6A61FD49C-00.

I have reloaded the BIOS to factory [least i think I did, unpluged cord, set jumper to clear for a few minutes, then set jumper back, then plugged it back in, restarted, went to bios. Loaded optimum settings, then saved and exited]

now i cannot boot to the cd/dvd. It sees it there, but doesnt do anything. it just restarts. the point where it restarts is after it shows the screen that shows the bios version on it and it is listing something with PCIs. If i could get to the cdrom i could try to flash that bios again or run winxp setup.

Ok, this is where I am at.

on startup screen it says [items listed as NONE not posted]

Main Processor: AMD Hammer Family Processor Model Unknown

Memory Testing: 2097152k OK

Primary IDE Master: _NEC DVD_RW ND_2540A 1.01

Internal SATA 1:ST3250823As 3.03

Internal SATA 2:ST3250823As 3.03

CMOS Checksum error- Defaults Loaded.

press F1 to continue, DEL to enter bios.

the checksum error scares me.

aghhh please help someone!