Possible bad flash?

I decided to flash to the BTA bios last night.

I now have a no boot situation.Prior to flashing I loaded optimised defaults and rebooted all ok etc.Enabled usb kb and mouse saved and rebooted.

Flashed from the floppy ok but could not get the leyboard to work and allow me to press F1.Obviously with no other option I switched off and cleared the CMOS using the procedure that has been well documented on here.

I am now stopping at 1 led light and a constant beeping which would indicate VGA?

I cleared the CMOS a few times now and still no joy.I am also now using a PS2 keyboard whilst following Ex-Roadies guide to CMOS clearing.

Question is if it is a bad flash would I be able to hot flash the bios with my DFI NF3 Ultra board?I have compared the Bios chip numbers and they are pretty damn close.

Over to guys for suggestions/ideas.

Oh yeah I currently have the board in the clear CMOS state whilst I am at work so it will be in that state for at least 10 hours.

Thanks

J

I decided to flash to the BTA bios last night.

I now have a no boot situation.Prior to flashing I loaded optimised defaults and rebooted all ok etc.Enabled usb kb and mouse saved and rebooted.

Flashed from the floppy ok but could not get the leyboard to work and allow me to press F1.Obviously with no other option I switched off and cleared the CMOS using the procedure that has been well documented on here.

I am now stopping at 1 led light and a constant beeping which would indicate VGA?

I cleared the CMOS a few times now and still no joy.I am also now using a PS2 keyboard whilst following Ex-Roadies guide to CMOS clearing.

Question is if it is a bad flash would I be able to hot flash the bios with my DFI NF3 Ultra board?I have compared the Bios chip numbers and they are pretty damn close.

Over to guys for suggestions/ideas.

Oh yeah I currently have the board in the clear CMOS state whilst I am at work so it will be in that state for at least 10 hours.

Thanks

J

well i herd there was a problem leaving the clear cmos jumper on too long, so that might not help

Anyway, i take it u left the clear cmos jumper on for about 30 mins ...

a bad flash of the bios could kill your mobo

What happened, did u flash and it finished without errors (those blocks went along the screen, 1/2 rows at a time and about 8 times ?

Or did u never get that far due to your keyboard not working ?

Flash was all ok,no bad blocks at all.

Have flashed various DFI boards and know the flash routine inside out so I know that it was not a "bad flash" in the normal way.It was just I could not hit F1 to reboot the pc so I powered off and then restarted.

J

i wouldnt have thought that needing to press f1 would screw it up, it should have finished flashing anyway

Have u tried removing the cmos battery too ?

i dont think using ure NF3 bios will work as its probably completly different

And i take it "Ex-Roadies" guide is the one where u hold down the del key or whatever ?

That is exactly why I don' flash from a floppy. Windows XP is known to make loppy drives malfunction, and the first time I've ever tried to flash from a floppy, on my 9npa, the drive malfunctioned during the flash. Needless to say, $25 and a new bios chip later I started using winflash and 10+ flashes later, it still hasn't let me down.

That is exactly why I don' flash from a floppy. Windows XP is known to make loppy drives malfunction, and the first time I've ever tried to flash from a floppy, on my 9npa, the drive malfunctioned during the flash. Needless to say, $25 and a new bios chip later I started using winflash and 10+ flashes later, it still hasn't let me down.

i flashed from a floppy a few times and its fine

the checksum should stop a bad flash

ive found u need to do a proper format atleast twice to make sure there are no errors on the floppy first, u cant be too careful doin this

a bad flash of the bios could kill your mobo

Do you mean corrupt the bios so the system won't work or actually kill the motherboard?

Tmod

Do you mean corrupt the bios so the system won't work or actually kill the motherboard?

Tmod

the 1st option

however ure bios is dead without a bios, so really both statments are true

if you can get a replacemnt bios chip, or a bios programmer then u can recover from it

aslogn as the bad flash has not done damage to other components on the motherboard

aslogn as the bad flash has not done damage to other components on the motherboard

How would a bad flash hurt something else on the motherboard?

A bad flash is nothing more then corrupted data being written to the chip.

Now what causes that corrupted data is another story.

Tmod