New bios/vga + battlefield2 = boom?

Well well well, first full Blue screen and a restart after so many months!

Recently (2 days ago) flashed to 704-2BTA and changed my video card from 6600gt to “see sig”. Ran 32m pi , 30 minutes OCCT, 4.5 hours stressprime. Everything seems stable. Played fifa and cs1.6 almost 4 hours 2 nights ago. Yesterday I installed the demo version of battlefield 2. Up my video card to 495/540, increase quality setting to high (couldn’t remember but can be 4x/16x). Inside the game increase everything to maximum settings. Start playing gulf of oman(orman), 10 minutes later beep+full blue screen with no error message on it?

I’m sure my ram is not the problem. I also think my psu is sufficient for my system.

Questions:

1) Now, why cpu usage is around 5% when I stop stressprime this morning, shouldn’t it torture the cpu under stress?

2) Is it my new video card caused the blue screen with factory default heatsink on it? Pushing so hard I mean…

Please share some comments and give some advice around what to do.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only guess what the problem is until you do thorough stress testing.

Take your gpu OC for example. You should run 3DMark loops (or something similar that stresses the video card) for several hours and see if it produces any artifacting, or the benchmark crashes. If you just 'set it and forget it' you're leaving it up to chance.

Since you recently flashed the BIOS, I would strongly recommend MemTest-ing. And I can tell you from experience that I've seen MemTest produce errors after as much as 14 hours (same goes for Prime95). A lot of people get comfortable after seeing it pass for 30 minutes and this is a mistake.

Thorough stress testing is a major pain in the butt IMO, and I don't like it one bit. But it's the only way to weed out problems and ensure a 100% stable OC.

Yeah I used to have the same problem in BF2, but I put a fan on my RAM and it went away. Granted I'd probably get an hour or two in ,then it'd BSOD on me. Try it out and see how warm yuor sticks are getting, might just be that simple.

Edit: Sorry didn't completely answer your question...

1. Depends on which stress test you use, one is really hardcore on the RAM, another more on the CPU, then a third thats a blend of the two (I think, I'm not at home right now)

2. Well, generally if you use the built in Nvidia performance overclock it makes you test for stability before it allows that setting, and in general they're safe. However I've found that when my room is cold it'll allow settings that really are too high once I finally spool it up during a game, so maybe try backing off a little and see what happens. Your graphics card shouldn't be causing a BSOD though, your screen would probably lock up, or you'd see artifacts in the game first.

Grunjee: 100% agreed, I should do that. Actually, angry did 8-10 hours memtest with my memory at 260. I'm using them at 255. For the futuremark, I'm not at home right now, I couldn't remember whether there's an option to do loops inside the program. But i'll try to find a way... And for the prime 95, tonight I'm gonna leave it for 12 hours. I hope nothing happens, I couldn't sleep last night very weel due to "might I lose my hardware while testing" stress:cool:

technodanvan: I was thinking to put a fan close to 2nd dimm and mosfets, this is a good way for me to beat up my laziness. I believe I can use zip-tie's to my xp-90 but I am not sure whether it would be secure enough. How did you put a fan up there?

Other issue came to my mind is, my idle cpu temperature raised from 32 to 36/37 and chipset temperature 41/42 to 46/48 after I put my new video card into play (this one needed a direct power connection to psu). Do you think temperature could cause my problem??

EDIT: technodanvan, I have an ATI card not nvidia, and I'm using ati tool and/or riva tuner :eek:

Your cpu and chipset temps are still fine at idle...what do your temps look like under load? Also, what are your vid card temps?

VGA: while playing cs1.6 and fifa, around 65. Idle between 48-55 - temperature sensitive fan setting

CPU: not more than 45

Chipset: 52 - 58

I'm with him.

Me too...

but my E6 stepping 3200 venice (got it today but right now not sure to use it, might put into a different rig) doesn't OK with 3/16 alpha bios (earlier one). That's why I changed it... Gotcha?

And a note here, a sentence like "why did you change it in the first hand if everything was OK with your 6 months old bios" is better/friendly/wiser than "change back to what ever bios you was on before and be happy!" type of aggressive sentences... Gotcha?

Don't forget that you are NOT the only ones who knows WHEN to flash a BIOS... hopes clarifies the matter.

And please let's go back to my original questions...

EDIT: and exactly how did you assume BIOS is the problem??? I am getting relentless here!

Getting crazy here. 10 minutes of play without the overclocked video card - blue screen, nothing written on it - needed to restart the machine. Got the same error message after I log into windows:

error.jpg

Now I start to think more of temperatures. Above temps are immmediately after the restart - hot! Any ideas - hit me...