7800 gt suttering problems

I spent weeks and hundreds of dollars trying to troubleshoot my system, so that I had an "elite" gaming machine. I was having similar issues, no matter what harware I used. Same problem , bad stuttering at lowest resolutions/settings. As it turned out .... the 7800GTX was pushing out frames too fast for my monitor. That's all it was. It's a no win situation, at least in my scenario. I turn vsync off, and it caps the fps and alot of tearing occurs ... but is smoother. I turn it on and it elimates the tearing but stutters to death.

You can test this by setting the game at say 1024X768 @ 60hz with vsync on. Then try same Res but @ 85 ghz ... stutter not "as" bad, but still there. Wonder what would happen @ 100hz ?

I haven't seen many monitors (CRT) that really boast higher refresh rates at high resolutions. =(

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think I found my problem, i set it back to 1T and changed timings from 3-3-3-8 to 2.5-3-2-7 and it seems to be much better. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting 1T completely stable, I turned Drive strength to the highest so I'll play some BF2 and see what it does. (prime/memtest/pi 100% stable but not games)

Have you tried forcing triple buffering and vsync at the same time in the nVidia display properties? That should eliminate tearing without causing the stuttering issues associated with enabling vsync? This allows the video card keep up maximum framerates, while also having vsync enabled. I had the same issue with some other games I played, forcing triple buffering helped ALOT.

FYI, the other game was 2D spaceship game that gets ~500 fps, but it stuttered horribley without tripple buffer.

Cool that's the main reason I wasn't using vsync, I discovered with FRAPS that it either does the full (for example) 100fps, or 50fps, or 33fps, or 25fps and lower. You don't get anything in between the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 markers. So instead of getting playable 32fps you'd get 25

Tearing is definetly not my stuttering problem, it's because at the moment I'm running 1x1GB single channel, need my other stick back! But yeah I did notice some tearing when strafing in front of a wall in BF2 today