One Hot Mother

I have a Gigabyte mobo. I have just overclocked my Athlon 2600+ from 2087mhz to 2250mhz. The chip is running ok still, at around 39-40 idle. The mobo is running kinda warm at around 50-52. Any suggestions that will help me, I am kinda new to overclocking but I have been doing a lot of research on the matter, and been taking my time. Thanks.

Athlon 2600+ 2250mhz

1024ddr 333

120gb Maxtor

Radeon 9800Pro

Iceberg 1 water cooling (moded)

Antec Lanboy (aluminum case)

cooling:

one blower

harddrive cooler

one case fan exhaust

one case fan (on radiator) blow in

fan on power supply blowing in.

You mean the cpu is running 39-40 idle or the motherboard chipset?

Maybe you need to cleanup the wiring of your system or maybe you are getting incorrect temparture readings.

That is alittle weird b/c usually the motherboard temps are around 10 C below that of the cpu (at least for me anyway lol)

I usually use the hardware monitor that comes with the motherboard :) or maybe a well known hardware monitor.

If you are getting temperatures on your motherboard that are higher than your cpu, you might want to make sure you are reading the right sensor... If not that, then it could be that with a watercooled system, the little capacitor farm next to the cpu doesn't get the air circulation that it used to and the caps are heating up. This was a prob that I had after replacing the NB fan and cpu hsf with waterblocks.

A quick solution is to improve the airflow around the caps and NB area. Even better, you could use a fan bracket (Zalman) to put a 80mm of that area. Doing so lowered my MB temp by 15C to give a stable temp of 45C. ;)

Enjoy

Thank you for your advise. It is kinda crowded in there (Lanboy aluminum case). I will think of different ways to add more air to the mobo, should I get a more powerful PSU (I'm at 350 now)? I will strongly consider the Zalman.

Thanks agian.

I know i'm a little late :huh: but i had similar problems with mine also a gigabyte you were right by saying more air to the mobo try a side pannel fan and you may want to change the crappy little alu chipset hs for something like a vantec or a Tt coper i had a 5 to 8 deg drop with a thermaltake crystal orb on the NB now at 36c

Update: i just saw that you had a 9800,and if i read it right all your fans are blowing "in" your case???? No wonder your temps are high a psu fan shoud "always" blow out meaning taking air from inside the case and blowing it out,and try to visuallize this water gets warmed from chip,goes to rad to get cooled,fan on rad blows air trough warm rad to try to cool it,warm air going out of rad goes "in " the case :O:O temps goes up :O you dont want that. you are doing the same with your psu. What you need is more intake in he case fresh air :P ummm good

change your exaust to intake and reverse your rad fan and ps fan,see the nice temp drop :huh:

Edited by kobalt

Well, You know those big block fans you see in windows... Tape that on to the side of your computer Solves all your problems. Its makes half your a case 1 big blow whole. Lets just hope it doesnt suck your ram out :). thats what im thinking of doing not sure though they are awfully noisy.

Thanks for the reply Kobalt. I'm not sure I informed you correctly about my fan config. I went with the recommended config requiring two case fans mounted on either side of the radiator (blowing in). I knew that hot air was the prob, but just didn't expect it at the time of installation. I did not know that temps on my mobo were going to reach 50-55C. The fans on my rad are mounted and facing inward (I wanted to pull the cooler air from outside the case) so as to cool my chip more efficiently. Weird that you mentioned the side panel fan, I was just looking @ a side panel (from the Antec website) that was moded to fit a fan for blowing in. Also, I have one blower exhausting air out of my system, and another fan in the front blowing out as well. However, you are right, I have more air comming in than going out, and some of that air is heated from the radiator. I will do as you suggest (with the chipset HSF), and try to add a side panel fan. How about that power supply? Do I have enough power(350 watts) for future upgrades if I keep adding fans?

Thanks again to everyone.