can not install windows please help!

As the title says. I can not install windows. I'll do my best to list every thing tryed in the last 36hrs to try and install.

The other night I figured Id do a fresh install of windows since I had got my rig stable, or rather I thought.

When the setup cd was copying files to the hd I kept getting errors saying it couldnt copy a file to the hd(random file's, not always the same ones the intire 2 days Ive been trying), to make sure I had a win xp disk in and to try again,ignore file, or quit setup. I got a good 15+ of these and hit enter every time to retry. some times retrying worked others it didnt and I started the install from scratch.

I eventualy made it to the actual windows set up a few times and when installing components I got an error saying system.sys was missing to reinstall windows.

That is what Ive been threw with nearly all attempts to install. A few attempts I got an IRQL not less than or equal error when at the inital setup from cd.

I have managed to get a windows installed 2 times using a particular setup (I'll get to what all Ive tryed in a min and note it with *) but both times windows had problems. first time any file I tryed to put on the hd got corrupted, second time every time I loaded windows I got a message saying a registry file was missing but had been restored from backup. All I had done was install gfx drivers. I ran scandisk and once it was done windows took a dump and didnt work at all any more, got a bsod saying page fault in non page aria.

Now to what all I have tryed.

setup I thought was stable which is in sig.

I have tryed 2 diffrent dvd drives,4 diffrent win xp install disks,2 diffrent hd's,powering the hd and dvd drive off a diffrent psu,BIOS at fail safe, and optamized defaults (no attempts have been done with any other bios settings),one stick of the OCZ ram,(NOTE: attempts have been made with a combination of the above) and* last the most successfull attempts have been with bios set to optamized defaults and using one stick of Mushkin Blue I innitaly put in the board when I got it*.

Im now going for another attempt by resetting the cmos for a wile, and Im gona set my ram to 2t timings with hardware in sig and see what happens.

If that doesnt work and you all can not give me some ideas to try Im going to put in the chaintech board and if all goes smooth with it I'll have to conclude its this mobo and RMA it I guess.

Please if any one has some ideas for me let me know as I realy dont want to take my rig appart again.

EDIT: Just tryed after reset and setting ram to 2t, didnt work.

If no replys to try in the next couple hrs I'll start disassembling my computer :-(

Try clear cmos, optimized defaults, memory (try the mushie you've had the best luck with in slot one) at 2T and....what I had to do with my NF3 ultra D...increase the voltage during install. Bump it to 1.55v to see if that makes a difference.

If you have access to a different PSU, even if it's a POS, try it. Ultra X-connect's are all bling and no zing...

Time to experiment with the memory as I'm sure you want to run your OCZ's. Before doing anything you may want to check the rails on your PSU to make sure they are up to snuff...here's a guide (courtesy of DavidHammock)...PSU Testing...

It's worth the 15-20 bucks to get a decent multimeter and MAKE sure your PSU is steady at idle and under load.

If that checks out okay start with one stick in slot one and push it around a bit and test using memtest. Make sure to push it as far as you can by dropping yer multiplier and bumping buss speed. Get a feel for what that one stick can do and then test the other. Then try them both at a slightly lower clock than where they failed individually. When you start to get errors, swap slots to see if errors go up or down. If they go down you've found out which stick likes which slot and visa versa. My 250gb always runs best with memory in slots 1/3. I always put a dot or mark on one stick of matched sets before testing because more often than not you wiull find that one stick performs better or worse depending on which slot you use...

You might wanna do some trouble shootin first before taking the time to do that. I had an Ultra-X connect for a day or two and it never "felt" right. Just weird stuff going on so I took it back and got an Enermax Noisetaker 485w. No more weirdness after that other than me trying to learn the NF3 and pushing too far here and there. Just good ole normal bsods and crashes ;) My favorite mobo now. The 939 AGP is a pain in the butt, 24/7 stable, but a pain in the butt none the less.

I think I may have figured out the problem.

I got windows set up with the drivers and software needed for the system to run, and after several reboots it was doing fine.

I then put my ocz ram back in got to windows and got the message saying a registry file was missing and had been restored from back up.

I then pulled the OCZ ram and put the one stick of Mushkin back in, windows booted up 2 times for me just fine.

I restarted and put one stick of OCZ in, went into bios set optamized defaults and set it to run memtest.

got errors in test 2 and 3 so I restarted and set the ram to 2t, ran memtest and errored in test 2 and 3 again.

I then swaped my OCZ sticks, went into bios set optamized defaults and memtest to run, so far Ive now made one full pass no errors.

Seems as thoe a bad mem stick is what my problem has been the whole time. what do you all think? After I make about 3-4 full passes of memtest I'll run windows and see how it acts.

BTW: Thanks for the advice on PSU, but wile I know some people have had bad luck with them Ive been running mine since Jan nearly 24-7 with no problems. Have also checked it with a digital multimeter several times.

ok, what seems to be a good stick passed 6 full runs of memtest.

what seems to be the bad stick, upped voltage to 2.7v 1t failed test 2-3, 2.7v 2t failed test 2-3, 2.8v 1t failed test 3, 2.8v 2t failed test 2-3

Dont know that I wana try any higher lol

I wana thank ya OldGuy for taking the time to help me with this! :)

No problem ;) If that's new ram I'd RMA the set and be done with it since it won't work at it's rated voltage. Don't know what OCZ's policy is but I'd want a matched set replacement rather than just the one. Try and mooch an upgraded set for yer trouble :D Don't hurt to ask...

OCZ usually wants the complete set back.

They seem to be pretty cool with RMA's - I'd let 'em know about all the time and effort you had to spend to pinpoint the problem - might help with an upgrade!