Jerkiness in games after a time with X2 3800+

Hi guys,

Has anyone run into the following issue?

I'll be playing fine for a while, then all of a sudden I will experience severe stuttering in gameplay as in it's like I am getting spurts of hyper-speed. People around me mentioned it looks like I'm speed-hacking or something.

Quitting and restarting the game doesn't fix the issue, but a reboot does.

I'm wondering if this has something specific to do with the X2 and some funkiness with the dual core and/or Cool n' Quiet (although this is disabled in the BIOS and I have "Always On" set in Power in the Control Panel).

Can anyone shed more light on this for me? It's really annoying and I'd like to try to stop it from happening if I could.

Rig in question:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 x 512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR-SDRAM

DFI nForce4 SLI-DR

MSI GeForce 7800GT

Thanks

Hi guys,

Has anyone run into the following issue?

I'll be playing fine for a while, then all of a sudden I will experience severe stuttering in gameplay as in it's like I am getting spurts of hyper-speed. People around me mentioned it looks like I'm speed-hacking or something.

Quitting and restarting the game doesn't fix the issue, but a reboot does.

I'm wondering if this has something specific to do with the X2 and some funkiness with the dual core and/or Cool n' Quiet (although this is disabled in the BIOS and I have "Always On" set in Power in the Control Panel).

Can anyone shed more light on this for me? It's really annoying and I'd like to try to stop it from happening if I could.

Rig in question:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+

2 x 512MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR-SDRAM

DFI nForce4 SLI-DR

MSI GeForce 7800GT

Thanks

What kind of power supply you have ?

What kind of power supply you have ?

500W power supply. It came with the Aspire X-Navigator case that the rig is housed in.

There's only the MB, a single HD, a few fans, a floppy, DVD-RW and the 7800GT drawing off it. I have the exact same PSU in the rig in my signature with a lot more draw on it and it's fine.

Rails are stable in the BIOS PC Health monitor within the accepted norms.

500W power supply. It came with the Aspire X-Navigator case that the rig is housed in.

:eek2: Shut it down, get a good PSU before that one blows up.

Aspire == HORRIBLE power supplies. I've blown up 3 of the "500 watt" models on older computers. They just don't run stable under load, especially with the heavy 12v load that A64 systems put on them.

I found this link for a piece of software that temporarily disables dual core operation when running a specific program.

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

I'm going to try it next time this happens and see if it makes a difference.

If so, it could indicate a problem with the motherboard maybe failing to disable Cool n' Quiet properly or with it not running the two cores at the same speed at the same time?

PS - Running the 623-3 BIOS (flashed the "right" way too)

I found this link for a piece of software that temporarily disables dual core operation when running a specific program.

http://www.activeplus.com/us/freeware/runfirst/

I'm going to try it next time this happens and see if it makes a difference.

If so, it could indicate a problem with the motherboard maybe failing to disable Cool n' Quiet properly or with it not running the two cores at the same speed at the same time?

PS - Running the 623-3 BIOS (flashed the "right" way too)

Forget About The Software ! Get A Better Power Supply..... ASAP !

Here's the reason: Click Here !

:eek2: Shut it down, get a good PSU before that one blows up.

Aspire == HORRIBLE power supplies. I've blown up 3 of the "500 watt" models on older computers. They just don't run stable under load, especially with the heavy 12v load that A64 systems put on them.

I've never had a problem with their power supplies, personally. I've had an Enermax blow up on me, but the Aspire ones have been pretty solid.

If it was a PSU issue, I think it would cause a system shutdown or lock up, not the speed-hacking-like issue I'm experiencing, don't you think?

Plus, like I said, it's on a light load. I don't have a lot of peripherals drawing power.

I'll try rewiring it to see if it's an issue with my balancing of load on the cabling from the PSU but, as I said, I'm not convinced this is a PSU issue.

Plus, like I said, it's on a light load. I don't have a lot of peripherals drawing power.

You think a 3800+ X2 and a 7800GT are a light load? :confused:

It's your choice, but I wouldn't be comfortable running something that costs that much money on a 40 dollar psu.

Hmm...

Doing some more digging I found this thread on the Anandtech forums:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...0&enterthread=y

First post:

Ok so i love this card but recently while playing games for an extended period of time, the games seem to jerk or lurk forward. As if someone was flicking the fast forward switch on/off . It progresses slowly from the beginning of the problem and procedes to become much more apparent and distracting.

Now here's what I think

A) Crappy drivers (unlikely, have used 3 diff types)

B) Overheat (unlikely, temp monitor reports 58 C max)

C) Somekind of thermal throttling

D) Fluctuating clockspeed

Anyone have any idea? I'm still trying to optimize my new comp.

-------------------------

A64 X2 4400+

eVGA 7800GTX

OCZ Platinum EL 2GB

OCZ Powerstream 600W

DFI Lanparty Ultra-D

CM Stacker

Seems to be more than just me.

Can any of the DFI support techs give any insight into this? Have they seen this before? Is the only "fix" to disable one of the cores? :P

EDIT - Found this post too: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthrea...17436721&page=1

I'm definitely adding the /usepmtimer switch to my BOOT.INI now.