Network controller loses connection intermittently

Hi guys,

I've been having a problem ever since the beginning with the onboard Nvidia ethernet controller intermittently losing connection. When that happens, I just close my browser, and AOL Instant Messenger, if I'm on it, and wait a few seconds, after which the ethernet controller usually regains connection. My cable modem (or company) isn't at fault here, as my second computer stays connected when this happens. Moreover, the cable modem activity light stays on and blinking.

Also, I've noticed lately that my music seem to skip a beat or speed up occasionally, not very often, although sometimes it happens enough times in a song to become annoying. My system is overclocked, but I have no reason to believe it is causing this problem, as the same issue is present when my system is at stock speed. My system is prime95 stable too.

Additional information:

CPU idle - 33 degrees

CPU load - 42 degrees

PWMIC idle - 44

PWMIC load - 49

Chipset idle - 42

Chipset load - 47

So...any ideas?

Thank you so much!

With regards,

T

edit: i am using Windows XP Professional at the moment, not Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, which I will be installing when it gets here. Thanks again!

I used to have the same problem, but mine was on a wireless connection... To fix that...go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. Now disable Wireless Zero Configuration. The way it was explained to me, this causes the system to periodically check for a new signal, so you occationally lose your signal.

I have the intermittency problem as well, with both Marvell and NF4 lan. I looked in the Event Viewer>System logs, and this is what I found for NF4 lan;

Error #1:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts. (due to a utility that is running)

Error#2:

SystemRootSysWow64Drivershwinterface.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver. (I have no clue what this is about yet).)

This is what is reported, from event viewer>system logs, upon reboot of my Linksys router and no reboot of the PC:

The system detected that network adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Upon resetting my NF4 lan connection by power cycling my router, I can function normally immediately.

What do you guys see in System logs?

Hey Greenbarr0n,

This is what mine says:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: Tcpip

Event Category: None

Event ID: 4226

Date: 9/5/2005

Time: 8:01:47 PM

User: N/A

Computer: TORREYISLDS

Description:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.

0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ......

0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

TorreyIsLDS,

Do you find this problem to occur when the system is unattended for a few hours?

What is the resume message you get from system logs?

Greenbarr0n,

On the contrary, this tends to happen when I am browsing the web. One minute everything is working fine, then all of a sudden the ethernet controller loses connection.

What "resume message" are you talking about?

Let's all work to resolve this issue! Great to see you guys actively posting here about your problems with the onboard network controller as well.

With regards,

Torrey

I also have this issue. *puts his hand up*. That error message in the system log is part of the great new "features" offered in XP Service pack 2. Maybe this is why I keep getting server-not-found errors and I cant connect to BF2 servers at lanpartys!?