Which brand should I go with? (7800GT)

TorreyIsLDS

Hey guys,

I am taking advantage of a situation I'm in right now to get a graphics upgrade. This is what happened, in short:

My second computer won't stop restarting and blue screening ever since my mother's friend installed a chinese language pack on it last night. For some reason, even after I reformatted it (quick and low-level), the problem remains. The pc just won't stay on for more than 10-20 minutes, before restarting and reporting a serious error. According to Windows Error Reporting, it is because of a device driver. I am stumped here, because all the drivers I installed are the same as the ones I had installed before I reformatted.

So I think a quick fix would be to just change the motherboard, since they would be using different drivers. I hate this old one anyway. Well, I hate this other one that I will be replacing it with too, but it's more tolerable than this one that's being used right now.

Anyway, the specifications of my second pc as it is right now is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester

Gigabyte GA K8NS-Ultra 939

512MB (2x256) Twinmos Twister PC3700

eVGA 128MB GeForce 6800

2 x 120GB Western Digital SE

Aopen 16x Dual layer DVD+/- RW

Antec TrueBlue 480

I am going to replace the Gigabyte with my old MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI, and since I can't use the AGP GeForce 6800 that's in the Gigabyte right now, I will give my sister my PCI-E Chaintech 256MB GeForce 6800, and get myself a GeForce 7800GT.

The question is, which brand should I go with? XFX just came out with lifetime warranty and their version costs $20 cheaper at Newegg than eVGA's. However, eVGA's includes Battlefield 2, which I probably won't play. But since the game costs $50 retail, I could probably sell it and get a profit on it. tongue.gif

But putting those things aside, which is the better, more reliable brand?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I have decided to go with XFX, after reading Angry_game's lauding of the manufacturer's new exclusive warranty.

In addition to the better warranty, it also has a more attractive bundle. Far Cry is included.

Please tell me I made the right decision. :P

With regards,

Torrey

from what i have read on other forums that the eVGA is the best deal for now

Depends on what you think a deal is.

For example, the eVGA version is DDR2, which I have no idea why, since all standard 7800s are equipped with GDDR3 memory. Also, the card comes with no games. The XFX comes with X2, Far Cry, and Moto something. Also, it is $10 less expensive than the eVGA variant.

That's a deal to me.

With regards,

Torrey