If you want to overclock your Ram...

ojon

don't get the Antec TrueControl II PSU. I have this power supply and it can only muster only 3.39 volts on the 3.3V rail. People are needing up to 3.5-3.6V to overclock OCZ PC3200 EL Gold DDR memory. I wrote tech support email to Antec and this is what they wrote me back.

Me:

>> I took the panel out of the circuit and the 3.3V went to 2.92V. I was

>> measuring with a DVM on the

>> back of the ATX connector 3.3V (Orange) wire. I set the control for the

>> 3.3V rail on the panel to

>> minimum. And then connected the panel back into the circuit. Set the 3.3V

>> rail to max with the

>> panel. I got a max of 3.39V. Now this is within spec but I need

>> more. The top of the spec limit

>> (+/- 5%) is 3.465V. What I get is not even close when dealing with tenth's

>> of a volt. I need a solid

>> 3.4-3.6V to overclock my memory. If I could get 3.465V that would probably

>> be close enough.

>> Any ideas?

>> [end customer e-mail]

Antec Engineer:

Ojon,

There is nothing else that you can do with it. It seems like you have done everything.

They said there was no internal adjustment that could be done. So you might stay away from this PSU. Anyone had any sucesses overclocking memory over 3.4V?

Ojon

Shouldn't you be using the 4V jumper if you need more than 3.2V?

Yep........

Ojon:

I think you kinda jumped the gun on this as far as sending a request to tech support. If your 3.3V supply is rock solid at 3.4V it is pretty good. My Enermax does the same. If additional volts is what you seek, go with the 5V jumper and give that 3200 OCZ Gold the Juice it needs ;)

Good Luck,

Magik

It is meant to be used with ram that can handle it, and cooling. When people use the 5v rail with ram that can't handle it, and/or without cooling is when there is problems. Well also problems if you dont have a good psu, too, of course. I think the 5v rail generally has more spikes in the current, but I know lots of people are using it w/o problems.

What about this Angry. Is the use of the 4V jumper a prudent decision? I'm using the OCZ PC3200 EL Golds 2x512. I can get up to 230 Mhz at 3.3V. So I think I need more voltage (Vdimm). My Antec TotalControl II has very tight regulation and will not allow me an adjustment over 3.39V. Antec's engineers say there's nothing I can do. So how about it? Can I try the 4V jumper or just get a better power supply?

Ojoj

The OCZ PC3200 EL Golds have been good overclockers up to like 3.5V+. But my Antec PSU can only supply 3.39V (DVM measured). I can only get up to 2.3G

(230x10). Can go no higher. I may try the 5V rail for a little while. But I'm weary!

Ojon

I enabled the 4 Volt jumper and set the Vdimm in memory to 3.4 which translated in MBM5 to 3.44 Volts. It allowed me to get up to 240 x 10 and did not affect my MOSFET temps very much at all. I have a CM Stacker with the cross flow fan that puts a blanket of air across the motherboard. The fan is positioned near the edge of the MB where the 4V jumper is. It's not like having an 80mm fan trained on that edge of MB, but it helps. I have no problem so far.

Thanks guys,

Ojon