Any tips on overclocking my Inifinity?

Hobag

Yep those temps are pretty high for idle, i bet your hitting between 52°- 60°C at full load. The Thermalrights are MUCH better, they're the best you can get. I'd get an SI-97 with some Arctic Silver 5 and a decent 92mm fan if i was you. They don't make SP-97's anymore.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes sir, the si 97 A revision also comes with the A64 clip so if you decided to upgrade your setup later it can be reused, recently from www.jab-tech.com I purchased an SI97A, a Panaflo 92 mil hb1 fan, and a tube of AS for just over 50 dollars, I think with shipping it came out to 57 something, anyhow, money well invested, only 2 things to note, the heatpipes come right up next to the back printer/serial rca out back ports, when installing into a case be very careful, it fits, but very snuggly, secondly if your motherboard 20 pin connector off of the PSU is some odd size, like my ultra Modular for instance it bumps against the HSF as well, putting even more pressure on that back port, but still over the stock HSF it netted me a 10 to 15 degree drop in temps depending on my ambient in the room, just something to consider if you go that route, best of luck to you

Since my temps are relatively high, what should my temps be around? And If I choose to get the Si-97a is there really that much of a difference between the regular version and the A version, besides the base? I ask this because my local store only seems to have the original 97.

Also, I was looking at getting a new psu as well, and i was looking at the Antec true power 2.0 480 or 550. Anyone know if they're any good?

One last thing, can everyone else finish prime95 when their system is overclocked to the max? Because I can do everything else just fine, except for prime. Does that mean my system is still unstable?

my rule of thumb is 50c or less, preferably 40 or below is best IMHO, the original flavor is fine for socket A, but FWIW having the extra A64 clip and the extra mounting hole is nice for future upgradability, otherwise its the same HS, you must have the A rev base, just obtaining the clip wont do, but its all up to you my friend, so far it seems to be the best option for socket A users right now, unless something else comes along, anyhow just be wary of the cautions I mentioned and you should be fine

good luck

jab tech was great to work with BTW and shipped it very fast, I would highly recommend them to you if you chose to try and get the A flavor, BTW how much is your local shop asking for the original flavor, Id try and do some comparision, get the most for your money if it were me

I wouldn't mind buying from jab tech, but it's just that I live in Toronto (Canada) and it's a pain in the butt to order from the states, with taxes and customs and duties and all. Even if jab tech does sell the product for cheaper, it all ends up being the same if not more expensive then just buying here. I'm in the process of calling my local retailer and asking them if it is indeed the original or the rev A.

Thanks jeremy!

Hobag

ok, didnt realize your one of our neighbors up north :)

best of luck to you then, a quick look at thermalrights website and only bigfoot is listed as the one canadian online etailer of thermalright, and thier site only shows the original version for 44.98, Im assuming thats canadian dollars too, sorry bud, wish I could direct you somewhere, the original flavor is still a great HSF, and if you really dont have any plans soon for swapping over to A64 then Id say go for it, getting those temps down will surely up your ocing cap and prolong your cpus life

cheers

j

Hobag -

Some of the newer Antec power supplies look like they're supposed to be pretty good. Many appear to be using/have used their power supplies and like them. I'm not the biggest fan of Antec PSUs, but the Antec PSUs I have used were older. From the looks of it, their newer ones have improved a great deal since then. Their TPII power supplies would be among my choice for Antec specific PSUs. Also, don't let me steer you away from Antec if you are interested in their products.

Are you looking at getting a power supply you'd be able to use on future motherboards, which may have SLI and so on (e.g. - NF3/4 or others)? If so, then you may want to take a look at this thread. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...4&highlight=PSU

Even if you aren't looking to buy one for use when/if you upgrade, I still recommend taking a look at the info in that thread; some excellent food for thought in there.

Here's a couple of links to websites/computer parts stores in Canada, they appear to have some good power supplies available.

NCIX.com - http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?maj...minorcatid=1066

CanadaComputers.com - http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=Sh...c7768d8e6089185

Hey thanks guys for the links to canadian websites, but I was already a regular at those retailers, especially bigfoot. They're really helpful and pretty much the only enthusiast retailer around this area. Ncix is pretty good too, I've bought some ram and other things from them before and it was pretty painless. And for Canada computers, they usually have the best prices around (paid by cash or debit of course) but they have a really Sh*tty return policy and customer service. You really have to know what you're buying if buying from them. Another okay retailer is e-compuvision.com, they don't have the best prices but they have some things that others may not have or are out of stock.

I don't know if any of that info was relevent, but I thought I'd share my experiences here, just in case there are other Canadian-beer-drinkers that want to know.

As for my situation now, I think I'm leaning towards the TP2.0 550w, or the OCZ powerstream 520. I'm just not a fan of the green led from the ocz. But they both have some good reviews. Anyone know if dual 12v rails have any real advantages?

On entirely different note, does anyone know if there's any performance difference between a thermal adhesive like arctic alumina thermal adhesive and thermal tape? I want to put another nb hsf combo on my board and maybe even the sb, but can't decide which method to put them on.

i ditched the thermal tape on the SB and did a mix of the adhesive and ceramique, as suggested by a few folks around here to me in the past, works out good as its sticky enough to hold but not permanent, IMHO the thermal tape is not the way to go, if you dont want the option of changing out whatever you decided to slap on there, the adhesive is the way to go, if you need flexibility in case you want to change, either the mix of adhesive and AS and or stick with the thermal tape, no pun intended :)

Either PSU would do you fine, but I would personally pick the OCZ if it were me, good luck

What kind of adhesive did you use with the ceramique jeremy? Was it the same adhesive that came with the AS adhesive mixture? I just don't want to spend like 20 bucks (can.) on the AS adhesive if I don't need to. Do you have a link of where I can find these home concoctions of thermal adhesives?

Thanks!

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...esive+ceramique

is the thread where it was mentioned to me about using a mix, I originally just used the blue ices thermal tape, but then later on purchased a tube of the alumina like playah suggested in my thread and it worked out great, its tougher to remove but it does hold on its own, just mix equal parts of the adhesives 2 tubes, and then approx the same amount of the ceramique and presto, there you go, or at least this is what i did and I have only tried removing it once to see if it worked, you can always pm playah for his advice if he dont post in this thread soon