400mhz Memory doesnt run at 400mhz?

Ok well i just spent time with this guy in tech support about my ram not being able to run on 400mhz but 333mhz. now ULTRA tech support said that i needed a better processor. i have a 2600+ AMD XP and i would have to get a 3000+ to make it work. Then DFI tells me all this crap that i dont understand then he gets pissed at me for not understanding it so i said F**K THAT, and came here now what is the reason i cant use my 400mhz memory.

If you have a desktop processer, then yea, tech support is right. The XP 3000+ (400mhz fsb) and the XP 3200+ are the only ones that support the 400mhz ram. Sorry about that my friend. However, if that is a mobile XP 2600, then you should beable to overclock the fsb and get 400mhz fairly easy.

Sounds like a desktop to me if its defaulting to 333mhz(166mhz). Its your Processor thats the limiting factor, thats correct, and its normal.

HOWEVER, if your processor is unlocked then you could quite easily get your ram running at its rated speed.

Yup i noticed that. Hopefully he should have the option to up his Ram to 200mhz and if its unlocked he doesn't really need to overclock his CPU, other than upping his FSB to 200mhz he can still run his proc at around its rated speed.

Hey Buttink

Go into bios and push fsb from 166 to 200. Job done.

Dont make a sh*te of difference whether your 2600 is locked or not

No need to replace chip(plain english) :)

Its not quite that simple shadow.

1. What if he doesn't want to overclock his CPU.

2. Theres a little matter of voltage. Hes gonna have to up his voltage a bit on that desktop.

3. His processor may not like running at 2.2ghz(its very possible).

4. Theres the matter of not knowing exactly what his CPU is.

From that i'm assuming its a 166mhz 2600 with a default multi of x11. But just in case its not and its one of the 133mhz 2600's with a multi of x14 that would be a real bad idea...

Yes a little more imfo regarding the chip would have been nice.

Just my own personal experience with lkd 2500/2600 chips, Shinobi, which ran fine on the mrs machine(2600) and my daughters machine(2500) at default voltage. 34MHz is niether hear nor there is it, If its currently 166, of course.

Maybe i misunderstood wot Buttink was saying. As you said Shinobi he can still get his ram to run at 200*2 regardless of the chip fsb.

No dis to the site guru's intended

And its mr. shadow nobi :nod:

Yeah it should be able to run fine but some folks can be funny about overclocking. If its unlocked then he wouldn't have to worry about that because he could still run his ram and cpu within spec, thats what we were trying to point out. If he'd posted back then we could have guided him through overclocking it if he was willing to.

Some 2500 and 2600 desktops can overclock great, yet i've seen some that have been pretty poor overclockers, so its best to take it slowly really just to be on the safe side. But i reckon he'd be unlucky to not be able to take it to 2.2ghz with extra voltage.

Its just being cautious too really. If we'd told him to just bang it on up to 200mhz without knowing all the facts and it caused him problems i don't think he would have been happy :D

DFI Support would have only suggested to him to get a new processor because they won't recommend outright to him to overclock it because that would probably be seen as poor support if you know what i mean.

In fact, i'm not even sure what overclocking options that particular board has. I'm assuming it should have some.

No, these XP-M's aren't 200mhz stock, why do you say that? They're 133mhz.

2600 Desktops vary, there are 2, 1 thats stock 166mhz and 1 thats stock 133mhz.

DFI recommended him to get a processor thats 200mhz(400mhz FSB) stock which would either be the 3000 or 3200 if thats what you mean? They never advised him to get a mobile.

Maybe Buttink and others have already been down this road before?

Aren't VIA chipsets able to run async easier and better (more stably) than the NF2 varieties? I've been able to do such with relative ease in the past and with older versions of the VIA KT-chipsets, particularly when the CPU is running slower than the RAM. Does that still apply to the KT400A version that Buttink has? If possible, then the system would be running the CPU at it's 133 or 166MHz spec right? Here's a screen shot of one of the BIOS screens which appears to relate to this board -

http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/...400a/bios_6.htm

Isn't it just a matter of toggling the BIOS to recognize the RAM as 200MHz/400DDR and with a different ratio than 1:1, so then the CPU would be where it needs to be (stock)? I would think that the SPD setting would've gotten him there, but can't Buttink just change it manually? I haven't used one of those boards specifically, so maybe I have zero clue as to what I'm talking about here, but I thought I would ramble on some anyway...