Networking 2 computers? (DFI nF4 SLI-DR + DFI LPB nF2)

Hi, I have absolutely no knowledge on netoworking anything whatsoever, but I learn stuff quick...

Just curious what I need to network the 2 motherboards, they both got Gigabit lan cards built in haven't they?

So just need to know what cables I need, people have mentioned "Cat5" cable, but how does that actually connect to the network ports, as I understand the cable is just sold as is?

Is there a simply say 20m cable that I can use with a male connector each end, just plug it in and set it up?

Whats the procedure to get it recognised, do I need to be running the same version of windows on each end?

Can I do things like delegate tasks to the computer on the other end, can I share a dialup modem connection on the 2 systems?

I'm not that bothered about the other questions, just really like to know what cables I need...

(I'm after playing some Unreal Tournament and C&C generals over it)

thanks, Rob

google small home networks how to

i am not sre about the nf2, but the nf4 has gigabit. the nf2 might have "fast" ethernet, ie 10/100

cat 5 is the type of cable. you can also use cat 6. if you are connecting 2 pc's directly, get a "crossover" cable. if you are going thru a hub or gateway, use patch cables. sometimes these are called lan cables, network cables or ethernet cables. they are the same.

yes there are 20m cables with male connectors on each end, just plug it in and set it up.

dont need same version windows, but win2000 and newer would be best. there is a wizard for doing this in "my network" called set up small office or home network" also, you might want to check out "sharing" your drives/folders under the properties sheets on your drives.

yes you can delegate tasks, yes you can share internet connections, both of which are great reasons to network your machines.

the are some os specific settings for the above, check out help and support. good luck

very truly yours,

politenessman

Cheers mate...

So basically I just need a 20m CAT5 "crossover" cable with a male on each end. Wack one end in each computer and it will all get detected by windows?

Sounds abit "too" easy to me :confused:

If its really that simple then thats great :)

I'm not too bothered on sharing a network connection really to be honest, I'm only on 56k and it'd only be a convienience thing, certainly not worth paying extra for, just wanna play some 2 player games with me mates...

?

it might just be that easy. Might have to setup some Windows bits by hand, but the Wizard for this that and the other usually works.

As for myself, I hooked up my two tower units through a DLINK 604. It was really easy: attach cables. plug in the router. double check intranet settings and then online.

would I need a router for connecting just 2 pc's together?

isn't a router just a hub, I.E for more than 2 pc's?

soz for the questions, i have looked up on google, but its all about wireless netoworks. I'd like to make use of the gigabit ethernet (it seems that both my boards do have gigabit ethernet so might as well take advantage)

thanks for replies

ah right thats good cheers...

would this cable suffice?

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.a...115&GroupID=392

Or could you recommend a good cable I can get that can use a high connection speed...they all seem to be for 10100mbit connections?

a bit confused?

cheers, (A site in the UK that sells X over cables 20M that are suited for gigabit ethernet would be ace)

thanx, Rob

yeah that seems ok...

I just looked about a bit and it says a few sites are saying I need "CAT6" cable to use 1000mbit or gigabit ethernet connections...?

Do you know where I could find that exact type of cable just in a CAT6 varierty of it?

thanks again :)

a good inexpensive router like the D-Link DI-604 + 2 CAT5E network cables is probably the easiest way to connect two computers and share internet (and have a firewall so you don't have to use software firewalls).

THis is the route I alwasy send my customers. You can do networking with two comps without it, but I would rather have a good, cheap, 4-port router that can allow internet sharing without any of the hassles of two comps together without a router, plus you can share files etc (i have a spare box as my 'server' with all my music, movies, most-used software, dvd burner, printer, etc and i just use my regular machines to access it and it's services)

cheers AG, I don't mean to sound ungreatful for your advice, I am....

Its just I'm sick to the teeth with computers and buying hardware at the moment, I'm really just after playing the odd gave with a mate like C&C generals or Unreal...

Any chance of a Cat6 cable recommendation available in the UK?

:)

thank you all for your help so far :angel: