New Setup, but awkward (application?) problems

After crawling this site and overclock.net for a few weeks now before doing a forced upgrade (old mobo died), I finally decided on what hardware would work best for me. I just received my new mobo, processor, ram, video card, and psu (all listed in signature) over the past few days. I threw (bad verb?) everything together, used the optimized bios, and formated my main harddrive to use a slipstreamed SP2 version of XP.

As soon as XP was installed, I installed the motherboard drivers off the CD from the mobo. I then went onto nVidia's site and downloaded the latest nForce drivers followed by the latest drivers for my video card. I then proceeded to download the latest windows update.

So far... everything's been fine, but I am getting some weird symptoms that I can't exactly put a finger on. When downloading the latest windows updates, the install will freeze. Also, when I powerup windows, I occasionally get windows errors from "Microsoft Incorporation" and one from "Microsoft Messenger". (You know... the dialogs that say close/debug/send to m$). When I run 3DMark03 I sometimes get a windows error saying the program must be shut down. It occured after the first video test was running (when it was changing to the 2nd one).

I plan on overclocking this machine, but would first like to get a few benchmarks before it was overclocked. First... I'm wondering why I'm having so many errors while just using the system. I've been building machines for years now and never come across casual problems like this. I'm wondering whether it could be the OS or possibly the drivers i installed... or an old bios? or ... i dunno.

Also, what are the best programs for benchmarking. I have 3DMark03/05, SuperPi,OCCT, and Prime95. I guess it depends on what your checking... but firstmost I'm going to want to benchmark my mobo/processor/ram because i plan to overclock them before messing with the video card.

Also.. is the temp monitoring software that comes with the CD any good? or is there a more preffered one?

(This forum is amazing and made it an easy decision for me on what type of hardware I should get. I plan on sharing my experiences on getting my system running up to my expectations so that others will be able to learn from it as well :))

Get Motherboard Monitor 5 for temps. There is a thread about it and how to set it up for your board around here somewhere.

As for your flaky Windows, it sounds like something may have been corrupted during the install. Personally, I would re-install Windows. I've GOT to have a spotless install and no errors for me to feel like the system will work perfect for me.

All motherboard monitor info & configs (by soundx98)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

I have no problem re-installing. I'll wait a little bit for any other suggestions. Also.. I feel more comfortable installing the retail xp pro cd i have, instead of my slipstreamed sp2 cd. I know people say its mandatory to throw sp2 on the install cd... but is there any REAL big problems with just downloading it through windowsupdate? (time doesnt count :-P)

All motherboard monitor info & configs (by soundx98)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798

I have no problem re-installing. I'll wait a little bit for any other suggestions. Also.. I feel more comfortable installing the retail xp pro cd i have, instead of my slipstreamed sp2 cd. I know people say its mandatory to throw sp2 on the install cd... but is there any REAL big problems with just downloading it through windowsupdate? (time doesnt count :-P)

Yep, that's the thread. Sorry, I was lazy on that one! :P

If you have the retail XP Pro CD, go ahead and use that one. The only thing that could happed is getting a virus or something like that while downloading SP2.

In the rare event you re-install and have the exact same problems happening, there is probably soemthing wrong with your hardware. It doesn't happen often, but in the past I've installed windows a few times and wound up with problems, only to find out that a stick of memory was causing wierd stuff to happen, or the mobo had a scratch on it, cutting off a signal.

If you have the retail XP Pro CD, go ahead and use that one. The only thing that could happed is getting a virus or something like that while downloading SP2.

This is why you should hurry up and install anti-virus first, or immediately after windows update starts downloading.

Well.. Actually I have two IDE harddrives, and an IDE cdrom. I ran the nForce update off the cd (the main mobo drivers... and i cant remember if it said it was installing IDE drivers with it). Otherwise, its not something I noticed (I may have).

Nonetheless, I took the jump into reformating and reinstalling from my non sp2 cd (just because ive used this cd a million times). This time around, I did a full format (opposed to quick). I walked away and came back to a BSOD. It gave error c000021a stating fatal error, the logon process system process terminated unexpectedly. :- I'm formating (paying attention) as we speak... but could I have a problem with my bios not liking ide drives? hmm... Any suggestions?

Okay... after rebooting and reinstalling... I didnt get that error. I first installed DirectX 9 off the lanparty cd. I then installed the latest nForce drivers from nVidias website (i had downloaded on a 2nd harddrive from before). After rebooting I recieved the "microsoft windows" error i mentioned above. Hitting close, I continued to install windows updates. After I finished getting SP2, I rebooted and saw aflash of a blue screen, but then it restarted itself instantly and proceeded to work properly (show the screen where it asks you whether you want to do automatic update automatically). Once I selected yes to that question and windows fully booted.. I recieved an error saying "The system has recovered from a serious error." With an option to send or dont send. Very strange... :- could it be a problem with the IDE drives?

wow... i honestly don't know whats going on here. After rebooting/reinstalling xp again... using a CD that i know works properly.. I'm getting so many funky errors. When I try to run certain (random) apps.. I get errors that say something about missing entry point, followed by a shitload of garbage characters. This happens when running iexplorer, sometimes for winamp, sometimes for services.msc... its kinda random.

:'(

Here are some of the errors (found from system log)

Application popup: Winamp.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point ÚÆ®–Š†„‡‹”Ž‰…ˆŽ/µ²ééééééé駧§— º®–Š†„‡‹”Ž•£¨§éééééééééééééé駪©œŒŠ†„‡¨±₪éééééééééééééééééééééé驧¥¥©©ééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééÿÿÿÿÿÃÇÿÿÁ‡ÿÿàÿ€ could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--------------

Application popup: iexplore.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point ÚÆ®–Š†„‡‹”Ž‰…ˆŽ/µ²ééééééé駧§— º®–Š†„‡‹”Ž•£¨§éééééééééééééé駪©œŒŠ†„‡¨±₪éééééééééééééééééééééé驧¥¥©©ééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééééÿÿÿÿÿÃÇÿÿÁ‡ÿÿàÿ€ could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Okay.. I've flashed my bios to 623-3 and am going to try to reinstall again. I keep saying people mention to not use certain parts of the lanparty cd drivers (like the ide stuff?). I have two IDE harddrives and an IDE cdrom hooked up. Is there anything I should pay attention to avoid when updating my nForce drivers? Am I not supposed to install the SWIDE stuff?

Anyone have any extra "safe" tips i should try this time around?