RAM upgrade

hey guys,

I'm gonna be upgrading my RAM prior to Christmas - my current RAM is going in an old Dell that I'm giving to my family as a 2nd PC for the 3 youngsters. right now, I'm running 2gb of PQI power memory in dual channel. I'm leaning towards this set of OCZ Platinum.

I'm probably gonna start OC-ing my PC - not too aggressively, this is my only PC. but, I'd like to hit 2.5ghz on my CPU - and by default, whatever is necessary on the RAM side to acheive that. my board is a Biostar TForce4 SLI with room for 4gb RAM, which I may eventually get to if I switch to x64 Vista. is this RAM a good fit for my situation? reliable? fast? any thoughts are definatly appreciated. :)

thanks guys

look up the model numbers for that ram on google and see if it's got any reviews or anything telling about oc'ing and stuff.

OCZ does normally oc decently but I would suggest looking around on google before making any purchases. I know G.skill is good at Oc'ing along with some flavors or Crucial memory.

If your going to overclock and would like 2 gigabytes of ram go with this..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231065

Their Micron D9 also.

if my board supported DDR2, I probably would - I've read good things about the g.skill RAM. unfortunately, the g.skill DDR400 isnt getting reviewed as well as the OCZ Platinum on the 'Egg.

to continue w/my habit of asking stupid questions - technically, my board only supports 4gb RAM, 1gb/slot. is this a limitation that can be overcome at all? it'd be pretty sweet to plug a ridiculous 8gb in. :)

thx guys for the replies. :thumbs-up:

if my board supported DDR2, I probably would - I've read good things about the g.skill RAM. unfortunately, the g.skill DDR400 isnt getting reviewed as well as the OCZ Platinum on the 'Egg.

to continue w/my habit of asking stupid questions - technically, my board only supports 4gb RAM, 1gb/slot. is this a limitation that can be overcome at all? it'd be pretty sweet to plug a ridiculous 8gb in. :)

thx guys for the replies. :thumbs-up:

You have to see if your board is 64 bit. Plus your operating system, if it's 64 bit. Plus, what do you do on your system that makes you think it would be cool or good to put in 8 gigs? Depends on what you do.. Kingdingeling's ram he said about would be good, or the OCZ plat would work fine too. See which works better, research!