Gunnar Gaming Glasses

InCrYsIs

I am looking for people that own or have owned any of the Gunnar gaming glasses.

What's your take? Do they work? Is it worth 50 bucks? Any long terms affects? Any info you can offer would be great.

I have read various reviews and they are mixed.

I own one hoping to help after my laser correction surgery. It tinges everything a yellowish hue, and it's supposed to help people not get eye strain from staring at computer monitors all day. I don't think it really works that way, but seeing everything in the yellowish hue actually makes things easier to read on the screen for some reason. Everything looks brighter without things actually being brighter.

For reading on the computer and gaming, I think it will help, but for media work, you really don't want to use it because of everything being tinged yellow. I would personally invest in a monitor calibration tool instead (I use a Spyder Elite 3), as most monitor screens are set too bright, anyways... if eye strain is your problem... or just take a 1 minute break away from staring at the computer screen after every round, or a 5 minute break every hour.

I owned a pair of their sunglasses, I loved them. They were lightweight and fit me perfectly...

I kept taking them to class with me and left them on the workstation, they were usually there the next day, until one day someone took them!!!

I was mad lol...

Anyways they were pretty good, the lens quality is on par with Oakley (which is really the only thing good about Oakley lol) in fact several of their engineers are from Oakley..

A guy at work bought the indoor "gaming" or "computer" glasses and he said they really help with eyestrain. The nice thing about those is they are nice at night too while driving, so you eyes don't strain from the headlights...

I would recoomend, they always have some sort of discount code too out there, just look I am sure you can find one :)

I own one hoping to help after my laser correction surgery. It tinges everything a yellowish hue, and it's supposed to help people not get eye strain from staring at computer monitors all day. I don't think it really works that way, but seeing everything in the yellowish hue actually makes things easier to read on the screen for some reason. Everything looks brighter without things actually being brighter.

For reading on the computer and gaming, I think it will help, but for media work, you really don't want to use it because of everything being tinged yellow. I would personally invest in a monitor calibration tool instead (I use a Spyder Elite 3), as most monitor screens are set too bright, anyways... if eye strain is your problem... or just take a 1 minute break away from staring at the computer screen after every round, or a 5 minute break every hour.

Thanks, it really is an all day thing. At work in IT all day long and at home gaming at least all night long 4 days out of the week. I was going to see if I can grab an 80 dollar pair for 50 on ebay. I wouldnt want to spend any more than that.

I'll also agree with GreenGiant, that the fitting on the glasses are superb, and they're really lightweight. I'd recommend them, but it's really hard to "test" them to see if they work or not for eyestrain. I don't have eyestrain to begin with.

I've been looking into these for awhile for getting a prescription pair. I really detest the style of the computer/gaming ones, but since there's function to the design I can stand it. One of the best reviews (I forget where) was for the computer or gaming version, and reviewer wrote about them twice with a year or two in between.

In the initial review he had no eye fatigue, did say the yellow tint helped with contrast and made it a little easier to see, I feel like they had a .2 magnification (like typical reading glasses) but i'm not sure, and he was not sure they were worth the ~$100.

Then two years later he tries them, he does have occasional eye fatigue now, and he found them to help in prolonging the time before the fatigue sets in, but did not find that if his eyes were already showing fatigue that wearing them would lessen it considerably. He found them much more recommendable the second review.

He also notes that the large lens size and the fitting are intended to reduce the air circulation behind the lens and make a higher humidity for the eyes. I can't see that not helping for people like me that may stop blinking as much when gaming, I'm sure it doesn't help my eyes any that I work at a salt mine in a desert either...

I've been looking at these on and off for a while and they seem legit but you can get the same cheaper from other opticians but with no "cool" marketing. Find some nice frames and get the glasses tinted and coated then all you have to decide is if you need to be able to say you bought "Gunnars" or "Bobs Frames".

I'm planning to see an optician in the next week or so and will be asking about this stuff....

"Hi I liked the slick marketing of this Gunnar digital safety eyewear. Can you do it for less money? If I do need a prescription what will that add to the price"

I bought them the other day.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826665057

I bought from Best Buy though.

Its not a gimmick they actually work. I've been wearing them at work and home gaming and I haven't had that tired eye feeling or headache. Screen looks more crisp. I recommend them. I bought them with a gift card I had. I'm not sure people are willing to spend 80 bucks on these. If you can afford though and want to get that eye strain down go for it. They are comfortable too with my headset on.

Edited by InCrYsIs

• 2 weeks later...

So I got to see my optician this weekend...

Whilst he himself has never sold them he has colleagues that do. The anti-glare can help a little and the tint is a personal preference, the real killer though is adding a very mild prescription as this helps greatly with Computer Vvision Syndrome (makes it easier for your eyes to focus on the monitor(s) ). I bought myself a set of these low prescription glasses with anti-glare but no tint for me. I have been suffering eye strain/tiredness a lot recently and slow focus changes from near to anything vision. Hopefully the new glasses will help and I'll let you know either way.

Gunnars - could be genuinely helpful and has SLICK marketing